Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RandyBuxton

Steering bushing

Chris727

Do you already have the old bushing removed? If not you can remove it by driving the old busing out. I set the gear on something with a hole in the center large enough for the bushing to clear. You can likely take a 5/16 or 3/8 hex bolt and set it in the bushing and hit it with a punch to drive the bushing out of the fork/gear assembly.

dav

not knowing exactly what you are working on, this might help. whenever I have a new bearing to install, I put it in the freezer for as long as possible or until 'she who must be obey'd' finds it. put it in a ziplock bag so you don't get grease or oil on anything.

just before I am ready to put it in, I try to put the part that the bearing goes into in the oven for at least 1/2 hour at about 150 to 175 degrees. any hotter and you can't find enough gloves, mitts and rags to hold on to it. put it on a cookie sheet with tin foil under it. (not making a mess of her kitchen and utensils, and cleaning up when you are done, goes a looong way to pacifying her for using HER stuff 'for those damn tractors'.

of course you need to have everything all ready to go so that you just walk out with the bearing and set it where it needs to go in. it will slide or press much easier than having everything at room temp.

this isn't foolproof but works a lot of the time.

when done, walk away. let it equalize temps by itself. don't dunk it to speed things up. in half an hour or so you can start putting whatever back together.

oh. no matter how clean you get her 'stuff' expect to hear about it for a while

RandyBuxton

Bushing has been removed.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Do you already have the old bushing removed? If not you can remove it by driving the old busing out. I set the gear on something with a hole in the center large enough for the bushing to clear. You can likely take a 5/16 or 3/8 hex bolt and set it in the bushing and hit it with a punch to drive the bushing out of the fork/gear assembly.

id="quote">
id="quote">

RandyBuxton

Hmmm, just thought of something after reading your post. Could a spell under a mapp gas torch do the same, then insert the ice cold bushing with the help of a hasmmer?The problem I found with pounding it in with a socket as the tool between the hammer and the bushing (at garage temp) is that the bushing got bent of shape.

quote:Originally posted by dav

not knowing exactly what you are working on, this might help. whenever I have a new bearing to install, I put it in the freezer for as long as possible or until 'she who must be obey'd' finds it. put it in a ziplock bag so you don't get grease or oil on anything. just before I am ready to put it in, I try to put the part that the bearing goes into in the oven for at least 1/2 hour at about 150 to 175 degrees. any hotter and you can't find enough gloves, mitts and rags to hold on to it. put it on a cookie sheet with tin foil under it. (not making a mess of her kitchen and utensils, and cleaning up when you are done, goes a looong way to pacifying her for using HER stuff 'for those damn tractors'. of course you need to have everything all ready to go so that you just walk out with the bearing and set it where it needs to go in. it will slide or press much easier than having everything at room temp. this isn't foolproof but works a lot of the time. when done, walk away. let it equalize temps by itself. don't dunk it to speed things up. in half an hour or so you can start putting whatever back together. oh. no matter how clean you get her 'stuff' expect to hear about it for a while

id="quote">
id="quote">