Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

who has hopped up there lombardini?

CTD01

Anyone ever play with timing and fuel on these engines to give them a bit more? I notice factory timing is already pretty high in the mid 20s. Just curious of anyone's experience playing around with them. Tips tricks ect. Pretty familiar with the diesel world just about everything I own runs on it and aint stock.

Haven't worked on any lombardini's, but you should be able to turn up RPM's up a little and have pump and injector fuel settings increased like any other diesels. and you can play with timing! Thats fun! Kidding! Very Time consumming!! Cam box pumps have their limits! As we have worked on and played with Kubota diesels. Pump shop does our pumps and injectors on our Kubota pulling tractor. We have small turbo on it, different pump & cam timing and other motor work done to it, as it's running over 6000 rpms!:D With lots of $$$$ you can get wild with one!

Considering how well the stock Lombardini engine works, the way it sips fuel, and the cost and difficulty in finding repair parts, there's no way I'm messing with the engine.

I agree, they put out enough power and with the cost of parts or lack of parts, its best to leave them stock. Just keeping the fuel leaks, jugs clean and shrouds clear of chaff is enough upkeep. Getting ready to rering mine due to the PO running with plugged up fins and one of the shrouds missing. Runs fine, but man does it smoke and wet stack something fierce! Mike

quote:Originally posted by mtoney

I agree, they put out enough power and with the cost of parts or lack of parts, its best to leave them stock. Just keeping the fuel leaks, jugs clean and shrouds clear of chaff is enough upkeep. Getting ready to rering mine due to the PO running with plugged up fins and one of the shrouds missing. Runs fine, but man does it smoke and wet stack something fierce! Mike

id="quote">
id="quote">The original owner had the same thing happen to him. The good news is that it allowed me to buy it for $230 because of all the smoke coming out. A couple of hundred $$ later and a few hours in the shop, and I had a good running tractor.Between diesel fuel leaks and grass packing in the cooling fins, mowing is not a good use for these diesels. I only use mine for tilling and snowblowing.

I am thinking a belly screen for under the frame needs to be made up. JD realized this and the 300/400 series came with them, granted you had to keep that clean as well. But it helped keep chaff out of the engines and hydro area. Of coarse, proper clean up after mowing with an air hose to blow the engine shrouds clean, should be a normal task for any mower. Mike