Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

is this part neccessary?

dav

I am looking for a source for the governor control rod for my model 19.

originally, the part number was 23957. that became 230039. then they became unavailable.

thought maybe the rod from a model 23 or 243431 would work. that part number is 230040 and is also no longer available.

now frustrated and clutching at straws, I looked in the parts list for the 326xxx motors. same number as the 23.

put each number into jack's small engine. superceded by 691761 which is also NLA.

I see the rod from the governor arm to the throttle arm as being necessary. but the control rod hooks to nothing on it's upper end. what will be the result if I just do without it?

i'm at the point where I want to put on the s/g and fire this beast up for a test but don't want to make a dumb mistake. all I am lacking to finish the motor are this rod, an air cleaner and the right color paint. (a better breaker box is optional)

I took a look in the parts book and that rod could be for stationary operation. So as long as you can control the speed by cable, you should be OK.

If I'm not mistaken, you are talking about the rod that goes through the metal plate, has 2 tiny nuts on it? It should also have the hole in the center to hook the throttle cable to. One of those nuts stops the governor so it can't over rev the engine.

I guess actually it stops the intermediate arm, so the governor can't pull the throttle open any more. Also sets your max RPM I think.

If you hooked your cable directly to the governor arm, you would effectively bypass the governor, it wouldn't be able to move.

Give me your address, I'll mail you one. The only difference between that one and the 23D would be length. From the 23D up the blocks are taller.