Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Coil ID help needed

dhoadley

I have a very small (2 or 3hp) B&S from the mid-70's. It has a replacement pull-cord shroud, so I have no ID #s. I want to replace this coil.

P1010565.JPG

The middle leg of the armature is 19/32w x 1/2d. The replacement coils I find online are all smaller than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Dave

P1010565.JPG.a9391e40540129f546b0d699d86f6fe8.JPG

Chris727

That is not a '70s coil. It is a 3 leg coil and they stopped using them around '65. It may not be original to your engine. I see there is no screw in the upper left corner. Is there a mounting boss on the engine block beneath it? If its original all four corners should have been able to be screwed in place.

dhoadley

Chris, It looks original to the engine, I'm just missing a screw. I was going to get the fourth screw at the hardware store when I resolved the (non)running issue. I guessed at its age from the walk-behind rototiller it's attached to. Thanx, Dave

briggsetc

Looks like the common 291617 coil used on all the 2" bore cast iron Briggs engines from the 30s right up until 57 and then used on aluminum engines until at least 1962. I compared one in my shop and the middle leg measurements are as you said. The mount screw holes measured center to center should be.... Vertical holes 1.9" horizontal holes 2.5"

Gary

dhoadley

Thank you all, for your input. Bob, I couldn't find any of my usual parts suppliers (Jack's, B&S) who would acknowledge that as a real model #. Gary, that part # was very useful. I've ordered one from "The Brillman Co." for $43.50 shipped. If it's the right piece, I think that'll be a bargain. Thanx again, Dave