Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1999 or 2000 Landlord

PSully

Hello all, it's my first post here as you can see. Well, being the "Craigslist Hound" that I am, I picked up my second Simplicity (also my 7th tractor). This one is a 1999, or 2000 Landlord, or so I was told. It came with the 54" deck along with the bagger system. The down side is that it has a broken connecting rod which the seller was up front about.

As soon as I am able to I will tear it down to investigate the extent of damage. As it is right now, the engine runs, and the tractor drives. There is no breach of the crankcase, and the oil is full. The price paid was $350.

Also, I've been looking around at both new and used engines as a "plan B". I know that it is critical to get one with the correct shaft, but is there anything else I need to be aware of in regard to fitting and working in the tractor? The engine is a Kohler CV23S.

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, it is the DLX. Also, it had a recent deck overhaul.^

The Craigslist deal was nearly a fiasco though. Although I responded to the ad fairly quickly, the seller sent out an email saying that there had been so many responses, that he was just going to give to the first one who showed up with the money. All I could picture was a bunch of guys standing around arguing over who gets the tractor. I hooked up the trailer and started toward the guy's house then I called him. He told me that he just didn't know what to do, so he put it out that way. I explained that he should have gone with whoever showed interest first. He said there was someone else on the way to look at it, but I just kept on course with him promising to call me if it got sold. When I was five minutes from his house he called to tell me that the other guy turned it down because it was too big for his shed. Well, you know what happened next.;)

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

good deal! I bought my Landlord 12.5 with a bad Briggs Vanguard engine. It still ran, even with a hole in the block!

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes, I knew a guy who bought a small dozer that sat in a field for several years. He dropped the pan and crank, took out the broken pieces, put it back together,added oil, then drove it onto his trailer. After he got it to his shop he covered the hole with a piece of sheet metal and ran it that way for years.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

I had a 23hp command and 20hp briggs. Both nice but the 23hp command was nicer. You could probably get up to a 25 or 27hp kohler.

id="quote">
id="quote">If I do have to buy an engine, I would consider anything 23 and up as long as it will fit without any b/s. I've got a line on a rebuilt 23 for $900.00 which sounds okay, but I'll need to pull my old engine to match it up. The rebuilt came out of a Simplicity, so there's a good chance that it will work out. There are two different shaft diameters for these engines, and I'm still not even sure if I have the 1&1/8" shaft, or the 1" shaft. I'm assuming it's the bigger one. It's been too cold for me to work outside on it. I need to make room for it in the garage ASAP.

quote:Originally posted by drbrian722

Stumbled upon this today and remembered this post;http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-L-130-23HP-Kohler-Command-Engine-/171607935331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f4a14963I think that's a great price, and if the shaft is wrong, just use the one from the existing motor.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Brian, That is the best price for a CV23S that I've seen yet, and I'll keep an eye on that one. If I can get my engine apart soon enough to assess the damage I'll know what I want to do. I prefer to repair rather than replace. I'm itching to resolve this, but without a heated garage to get this thing into I'll have to wait for a day that's at least in the mid-30s.Thanks again,Paul

The verticle motors are plentiful in craftmans etc, rear ends go out and the motor still runs well. You should be able to find a good used one for a reasonable price.

That engine was not factory equipment for an L130. The L130 engines did not have that style of blower cover or chopper screen. You will want to make sure the crankshaft is the same diameter and length so you can reuse your electric clutch.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

That engine was not factory equipment for an L130. The L130 engines did not have that style of blower cover or chopper screen. You will want to make sure the crankshaft is the same diameter and length so you can reuse your electric clutch.

id="quote">
id="quote">I agree, and that is why I will need to match up with what I have. As Drbrian suggested, it may be possible to swap out the shaft with another engine, but that got me thinking that perhaps the blocks are milled differently depending on shaft diameter. It has got to make a difference in bearing and seal sizes. It's got me thinking too that all the used engines that I've run into so far are from JDs, and none from Simplicitys. Is it because there are more JDs out there, or is it because the Simplicity's trannys etc. hold up better?

This sounds like way too much money for a rebuilt engine. I would spend a few hundred more and get a new one with a warrantee or find a good used one...

quote:Originally posted by drbrian722

Stumbled upon this today and remembered this post;http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-L-130-23HP-Kohler-Command-Engine-/171607935331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f4a14963I think that's a great price, and if the shaft is wrong, just use the one from the existing motor.

id="quote">
id="quote">

There are way more JDs out there as they were not only sold in Deere dealers but also mass channel outlets like Lowes and Home Depot. The L130 was probably $2500 when it was new. The Landlord was something like $5-6,000 with a deck and power steering. Yes they both used a command engine but the tractors are in two very different classes. The DLX transmission is more robust also. It is a K71 which is serviceable. The L130 has an entry-level K46 transmission.

Originally posted by Burntime

This sounds like way too much money for a rebuilt engine. I would spend a few hundred more and get a new one with a warrantee or find a good used one...

The rebuilt I found is $900.00 which must be the one you are referring to. I agree that a new one would not be much more money in the grand scheme of things. Besides, the guy who has the rebuilt engine wants to give me a hundred bucks for my old engine. Yea, right! The carburetor alone is probably worth that. I'd be much better off hanging onto it for parts.Again, hopefully mine is repairable, and I think it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a little warmer lately, so I was able to get a portable garage put up and tractors put inside. The engine for the Landlord is in on my workbench. It's great to finally get these things done.^ Come to find out that the crankshaft is a 1" by 3&1/8" which is not what I expected.

At any rate, I'll be tearing it down soon, and with a little luck I'll be able to repair it rather than replace it. If I have to replace it, there is a 7000 series Kohler on ebay for $675. Looking at the pictures of it, it looks the same as my original engine, so this may be an option if all else fails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23HP-Kohler-7000-Series-Twin-Engine-1-034-X-3-5-32-034-Shaft-15Amp-KT730-3012-/261548055046?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

• 1 month later...

After a cold cold winter and a ton of snow, I'm back at it. I have the engine torn down, and it looks pretty good. There is no breach of the crankcase, the cylinder walls look fine, The piston is good too, and I'm ready to start repairing this engine.

The rod on the number one cylinder is the one that broke, and I have a new one on order along with some seals and a head gasket. The bearing was spun around the crank, but I was able to clean that up, and it looks like new again. It looks like I'll be getting out this cheap too. I spent less than a hundred bucks, so I'll be into this Landlord for about $450 total.

Hopefully the re-assembly will go smoothly. I took lots of pictures, and put the parts and hardware into separate boxes for each stage of dis-assembly. I also have a printed service manual which should be pretty helpful.

So far the plan is to run this machine for a while, then try to sell it, but we'll see where that goes.