Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wjmoore94

Allis chalmers 410 problems

wjmoore94

I have noticed that since I have been using the 410 it is losing a decent amount of gear oil from the shifter seals at the top of the tranny, my question is what would be the best way to change out the seals and what is the seal part # . Also, what size is the drive belt for the 3 speed tranny ?. And the last thing is I have just recently noticed that when I put it in 3rd it does not reach full speed its about as fast as second, I've checked the belt and its not squealing or slipping . Thanks for the help in advance .

Chris727

Sorry for the late response. Go to:

www.simplicitymfg.com/support

Enter # 1600258

This will bring up the parts manual for the 400 Series tractors. Those seals are so thin I am not sure they can be removed and replaced without disassembling the transmission and removing the shifter shaft. The speed loss sounds like a belt issue. If it was an internal problem the unit would likely not move whatsoever. A delay of engagement could be due to sloppy keys and keyways in the axle tube and differential.

wjmoore94

Well, I managed to get both seals out by taking the smallest flat head screwdriver I had and gently tapping it between the seal and the case and it popped right out. I went to my local Napa and cross referenced the a/c part number with the skf 6120 seal, it fit perfect and was about half the price of the oem seal.

sammiefish

im interested in your project...

i assume you are talking about a manual with the shaft you speak of clearly visible from the rear of the tractor. I asked this question 6 years ago and got NO response.

can you describe in more detail the removal process? I thought all i could see is the brass bushing.. maybe my seal is missing...

im not leaking tons but i am leaking

wjmoore94

Yes its a three speed manual , the front seal is the hardest to get out ( it took me about an hour to get it out). I started with the rear seal , I took a very small flat head screw driver and a 4 oz. ball peen hammer and gently tapped the screw driver between the seal and the case ( keep tapping it until it bottoms out and I also found that if your looking straight at the seal , the upper left portion of the seal is the best place to start)then just pry it out, be sure that you keep the seal straight when your prying it out so that it doesn't get stuck in the bore. Hope this helps.