Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
snake99cobra

Simplicity 7790 Engine Parts

snake99cobra

Hello all, I had just picked up my late Grandfather's 1985 Simplicity 7790 Diesel from a family member who had never used it and didn't want it anymore. My Grandfather purchased the tractor new but used it hard to work a large patch of about an acre and a half for many years as well as cut grass and snow plow over the years. Being that the tractor was used hard and has nearly 4,000 hours on her my uncle told me that it smoked a lot. It still had plenty of power but I'm thinking the rings are probably bad/ weak and should have a rebuild. I really want to restore this tractor because for both sentimental value and that it was such a beast in its time. The problem I have been running into is that Lombardini parts now seem difficult to come across. Simplicity dealers try typing in the engine model and come up with nothing. Can anyone help me out on where I can locate parts?

Thank you,

BLT

What color was the smoke? If it starts easy and has power, rings might not be the problem. Now if you have high oil consumption, then you can lean towards ring. 4000hrs equates to about 140,000 highway miles and for a maintained diesel engine, that's not bad. Over the road trucks are get 4-500,000 miles or better between engine rebuilds.

snake99cobra

Thanks everyone for the help.

BLT, Tonight was the first time I was able to start it since I received my new gear reduction starter and it took a bit to get it started but once it did it smoked but was too dark out to see what color the smoke really was. My relative was the one that said she smoked fairly bad. I think there may have been an oil smell along with the diesel fuel exhaust smell. I'll know better on the true color of the smoke tomorrow during the day. She smoked more when loaded. I'm going to dump the oil again and put fresh again to see how the consumption is.

snake99cobra

I found an older archived post and it seems that some people were getting away with new standard rings, quick hone, and a valve job. Have any of you guys been this lucky to not need and locate over sized pistons and rings?

Are there any common flaws on these engines besides the upkeep of keeping the cylinder fins clean from grass and debris?

snake99cobra

Burntime, I don't think I'm following you with the heads being packed with chaf. I never heard the term chaf and where would I look for the problem on the head? Combustion chamber, intake port, exhaust port?

snake99cobra

Mark,

I was looking at your photo and I can clearly see the oil rings on the left piston but can't make out nothing but horizontal slots on the right where the oil rings should be.

snake99cobra

Got ya Goatfarmer. That was one of the first things that I checked to see fins were packed with grass but they appeared to be clean but it doesn't mean that the weren't at some other time and cleaned out already.

BLT

Mowing grass with a 48" mower deck isn't much of a chore unless you're mowing 6" tall grass regularly as there a many 12 HP tractors doing the same chore. In the winter, unless you are blowing 12" deep snow all the time doesn't consume a bunch of horsepower and being the engine is air cooled, it hard to warm up. The ideal way to make the engine really work is tow a heavy load like a P/U truck to really get it to heat up and see if some that smoking will clear up.

quote:Originally posted by snake99cobra

Mark, I was looking at your photo and I can clearly see the oil rings on the left piston but can't make out nothing but horizontal slots on the right where the oil rings should be.

id="quote">
id="quote">That shows how much of the oil ring had been worn away--------probably after the engine had gotten hot enough to take the temper out of the oil rings.And, yes, it was using oil.And I only had to re-ring the original pistons with standard rings and lightly burnish the cylinders. I left the valves alone. That was several years and 400+ hours ago.

Mark, that is some encouraging information that it didn't take much. Thanks for the reply.

id="quote">
id="quote">Good luck. Mine only had 800 hours on it when I bought it.Did Pat's Small Engine help you out??

Mark, They mentioned that I needed to know all of the part numbers that I need so I will have to search part numbers out before I give them a call back.

id="quote">
id="quote">Send me an email at mmsickman@yahoo.com and I will email you an operator's and parts book back.

TimJr

Doesn't Kohler have the rights to Lombardini now? It's ironic because back then it was Briggs that was importing them. There is a diesel shop in Portland, MI that I had gotten Lombardini parts from a number of years ago. I think they were called McDonald Equipment???? Not sure anymore. I think they also handled some other diesels like Deutz and Yanmar maybe. Not sure if they are still around. Tim

quote:Originally posted by TimJr

Doesn't Kohler have the rights to Lombardini now? It's ironic because back then it was Briggs that was importing them. There is a diesel shop in Portland, MI that I had gotten Lombardini parts from a number of years ago. I think they were called McDonald Equipment???? Not sure anymore. I think they also handled some other diesels like Deutz and Yanmar maybe. Not sure if they are still around. Tim

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes, a Kohler dealer can get Lombardini parts----------if he wants to deal with it.

snake99cobra

I tired a local Kohler dealer on Friday and they didn't seem to know where to start. They asked for the engine numbers and punched them in and their system supported nothing Lombardini related.