Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine warmer

Kenh

We had some pretty good cold here the last couple of nights. Around the -10 range. Even though I have 5W30 oil in the engine I was concerned about cold starts. FWIW I have a 7119 with a series 1 Kohler under the hood.

Anyway, I laid a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb next to the crankcase under the front output shaft. I also laid a good sized rug over the motor to capture any heat under it. I was careful to keep the rug away from the light. This morning at -9, I couldn't get my hand off the key fast enough as the engine almost started itself. LOL

Ken

Yes a little heat does wonders on them.sm01 My truck just barley started this morning! Thought I was going to have to put a heater on it! Think I will put one on it tonight or early in the morning! I hate winter and when its COLD -10 or more doesn't help! Power was off some yesterday and we haven't replaced the generator someone stole:(! a few months ago, so before it came back our water froze a little. Had to use heaters to unthaw it.C BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have an old Mustang 332 skid steer. It has a NHC Onan for power and I found a 150 watt pad heater for the oil pan. Man does that work nice!! I wish there was enough clearance to apply one to the Kohler in the 7119. After the oil is warm, the warm oil radiates the heat to the rest of the engine. I run 15W40 year round in the Onan because of the nice pad heater.

Ken