Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

repower

darren7116

Hi guys its ben a long time since I ben on here. I haven't had internet for quite a few years.

I have a question, I have a 7117 with the 17hp kholer 2. the motor is old an tired now so I want to repower over this winter. What do u all think of Small Engine Warehouse? I see I can get a Briggs vanguard 18hp kit that should bolt right in. Or should I look more twards a kholer repower? if so does anyone have any info on a kholer 18hp kit that will fit good in this tractor a website to buy from or a # to call an get info? thanks guys I just want to get this thing back running by spring.

Its all personal preference, im not sure where to get a "new" Kohler but Small Engine warehouse has a good selection of Briggs and Stratton Vangaurds.

I bought a 14HP Vanguard vertical from SEW, for a Broadmoor tractor I have. When it arrived via UPS, it was thrown into a box over twice the size it needed to be. Not an ounce of padding, or bubble wrap, not even a few crumpled newspapers. The end of the crankshaft was sticking through the side of the box. Luckily there was no damage.

When I contacted SEW, and told them what I thought of their packing and shipping method, I was told this is how they always do it, they've never had a problem, and I should have told them that I wanted the engine packed in foam, which was an extra charge.

Just beware.

Or is there anywhere else I could get a v twin 18-20hp from, around southern mich or Toledo ohio that would fit the 7117h

You will not find an "exact fit" Kohler 18 from anyone - because Kohler no longer makes the particular SPECIFICATION number engine that had the correct chopper screen and wiring harness. They were expensive anyway. Just do a SImple trACtors forum search for "repower" and you will find lots of ideas.

Hello, a couple years ago " brandnewengines" is where I Bought a 16 Hp Briggs to repower a sovereign. It came in a Briggs Box Inside another Box, Lots of styrofoam, and stiff cardboard packing and it arrived in perfect condition.

Thanks Ken in Mi

We put an 18hp vanguard into a 317 at work. It was a kit from SEW. We had to file and egg the holes on the base mount to get it to fit correctly. Otherwise the engine was fine. The engine was snug in the box but then it was a larger engine. Charging more for extra packing seems wild. They should be packed properly in the first place.

Be at home to receive the package when its delivered. Inspect it before signing for it. If its damaged, refuse to accept it and don't sign anything. The business then owes you an engine or your money back. I work for an LTL trucking company and do these kind of deliveries everyday. You can accept it and note the damage, but your negotiating leverage is much less once you've accepted delivery. For what its worth... Dave