Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

trouble moving

chesnut84

I have a simplicity 3414 baron-s I just recently started plowing with it and going from fwd to rev or vis versa it would squeel a little. Then last night it would only move in like 1st gear. It definantly wont do anything in 4th gear it feels like something (like a clutch) is slipping. I did notice what i think is a "brake band" came almost all the way off. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Im not very experienced with these tractors.

I have a 3414S also. Your problem is more than likely is one or all of these areas; Brake band adjustment or possibly the banding is worn down to the rivets, The adjustable stop on the split sheave wore off or just needs adjustment, The drive belt and/or clutch belt needs adjustment. I have the Baron 3414S since 1974. Still blowing snow and going strong. Love it!!!

I put the new drive belt on and have same issue. What is the shorter belt next to that one? Could that be the issue. It still hardly wants to move

Make sure the idler pulley assembly if working freely. If it is stuck, it won't apply the proper tension to the belt. It moves when you depress the brake/clutch pedal. It should return freely and snug up the belt.

I figured it out. Under the seat on the lever that controls fwd and rev. Is a collar I'm guessing it's for adjustment. The bolt that locks the collar to the shaft loosened up. I tightened it back up and she moves great. Could someone tell me what the smaller belt next to the drive belt is for. (It goes from the shuttle or Trans to a idler pulley) thanks for all of your advice I really appreciate it

It takes a while,all that belt does is transfer power from one side of the trans pulley to the other(it's a split sheave)confusing?get the service manual and study it,it'll make sense eventually .gtmsm00