Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Any hope for the Triad engine?

MikeES

I have a line on a very low hours Sovereign 18 with the TH (Triad) engine. Runs great!

Knowing the issues with the Triad, is there any hope with constant cleaning and maintenance that this engine would last for many years?

What kind of hours have people got out of a Triad before it turned into a boat anchor?

Thanks

I have an opinion and everyone knows how that is like a certain orifice everyone has. }:)

In addition to keeping the fins clean, I would:

1: Permatex the cam/rocker covers very well to prevent oil leaks.

2: Replace the mechanical fuel pump with a vacuum fuel pump to prevent damage to that cam.

3: Modify the air cleaner housing with exhaust holes to ensure that chaff will blow through instead of collecting and plugging the filter element.

That being said I am planning on doing this one day so I can have a Roy Pope Memorial tractor. :)

I believe Al Eden thought that they were workable, with proper maintenance. Carl has some great suggestions, that should add to the longevity.

Knowing the issues this engine has had or can have, I would guess the condition of the tractor itself would be a factor in your decision on weather or not to roll the dice on the motor. You can always put a replacement engine in after the Triad lets go.....Guess I am not much help!sm00

Will this be a working tractor?

I believe you have the expertise to keep it running

The only thing different from Carl's suggestions

That I would do is use an electric pump

Thanks for the input, I forgot about the cam driven fuel pump.

This tractor would be a working tractor mostly for some mowing (my 60"deck Kubota handles 90% of the mowing), leaf bagging in the fall, and possibly snow blowing...so very little hot weather work, about 15 to 20 hours/year.

I will have to relook at this tractor in detail and if good, I will strongly consider it.

Thanks everyone.

Those are pretty solid engines, except as pointed out above. I have heard of a number of well cared for ones going thousands of hours. The one valve cover is obsolete, I do believe. I have filed a few of them flat over the years. It would possibly be worthwhile to pull the engine and change the timing belt just based on age at this point, let alone hours. It seems the leaky valve covers that led to plugged up cooling fins is the biggest culprit of failed Triads - you just couldn't see the blocked fins until it was too late. Tim

i guess its a role of the dice my sovereign was well maintained and used very little the engine grenaded. The machine was NOS and was several years out of production and just out of the warranty period. I wrote and called simplicity (before briggs buy out) they were Awesome, I paid a small deductable and they wound up contacting AL Eden who supplied my local dealer with the kit for a command series. I had extensive talks with AL Eden who was a great source of information.