Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 broken spindel

rocks70

does anyone know if on a ac720 tractor with the heavey duty front axle if the spindel is the same as the lite duty? my 720 came from the factory with the loader on it and the 6.90x6x9 high capacity front tires. i broke the left front spindel picking up a dodge 318 engine and trans.in the past i have picked up a lot heaver stuff. mabe i over did it or it was just weak from old age.i found only 1 part number and it is 1653783 but no other part number.thanks

Larry,

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the parts lists for the early and late 720's. I think the spindles are different, but you can look them up.

John U

Rocks, what do you think that motor and tranny weigh? Your loader has an interesting mounting. Did you build that? Did you get the pics or info you wanted from your other post about the mounting differences between loaders? I have an Ark 600 with full frame under the tractor. I have toyed with the idea of separating the pump mounting from the rest of the loader frame and make a mount that clips to the mule pin holes like the 700 does. Anyone else done that?

Maybe it's just the picture, but the dark area's on the spindle look "previously cracked" to me.

I would think, if the loader can lift it, the spindles should handle it.

I agree with Rokon. I can't blow up the pictures but in my experience, a break should have the same color and structure across the face. The fact that there is discoloration (rust?) through 20-30% of the face says there was a crack there before you went into this job.

to answer your questions yes i think its been broke.and yes i built the loader mount but used the factory pump mount.this way i can use mower deck and loader at the same time.the engine and tranny should weigh less than 600 lbs.in the past i have moved a lot heavyer stuff without a problem.i found a compleat front axle on ebay for $350.00 with shipping.so i ordered it that way ill have spare parts for later

I think you probably damaged it in the past

Probably when you stopped with load on bucket

And the weight shifted to front axle

It looks like there is not enough counter weight in the back

The rear tires do not have any squat to them

My opinion only

That was formed by pictures

the 16 gallon drum on the back is filled with 3 80lb bags of cement and lots of disc brake rotors weight is over 430lbs its more than enough

Rocks, thanks for all the info. What does your underbelly part of the loader attach to? The ARk 600 has a frame that bolts on under the rear end and goes all the way to the front with pump mounting as the pic from CarlH in this thread shows. Does yours do that or is it bolted on somewhere under the middle of the frame? Anyone know how the ARK 700 mounts?

Ok thanks Rocks, I too am looking for a way to mow without taking off the whole sub frame from the Ark 600. Likely would just do what you did and make a new mounting rather than chop up the 600 frame I already have.

to day the compleat axle came that i bought on ebay for $350.00 and that included shipping.i was lucky finding a heavy duty compleat axle,tractor is now all fixed and i have spare parts.