Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler ch18s fuel problem

roma3112

Hi folks

Got a ch18s on my sovereign, snowblowing today and the thing craped out on me. What its doing is the engine lost all power and would only stay running with the choke full on. Also it will idle With no load just fine but the second you put any load Hydro or blower on the engine the engine would surge and die down surge and die down and would only stay running with the choke on. I have a new fuel filter, fresh gas (with stabilizer) new plugs ect. The engine has a vaccume assist pump on it. I have removed the gas cap (to check vent) with no change in symptoms. I am leaning towards the fuel pump as being suspect, any of you have similar issues??? I have read that kohler has a kit to change these over to a mechanical fuel pump, any thoughts? I dont believe these carburators have any adjustments so I am at a loss other than the fuel pump as far as what to check. I have not checked fuel flow from the pump, but I assume that test will show some flow as the engine will run but it just wont stay running without choke on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, still have lots of snow to move here in the Boston area :( :(

the engine is

family: 4khxs-8242gc

mod : ch18s

spec: 62513

ser: 3428018071

Did you check for good flow of fuel to the pump, I.e. line nor filter is not partially clogged?

I had similar symptoms when a mechanical fuel pump crapped out on a CH25.

Yes good flow to the pump, filter brand new, fuel is fresh. The only thing I didn't check is output from pump volume or pressure , I assume because the engine does run somewhat that there will be flowing from pump, but I don't have a way of checking volume over time if that makes sense

should i replace the pump with the same one, or is it best to upgrade to the mechanical pump kits that has the new valve cover. I have not checked vaccume level, i will check to make sure the hose has no cracks

provided that it does clear the hood, what are your feelings? I read a few opinions that the mech pump is more reliable, but i have no first hand experience.

The mechanical pump on the valve cover is quite pricey - over $100 as I recall - because you must replace the whole valve cover and pump as they're not separate components. I plan to try a low pressure electric pump the next time...

kent

With the low pressure elect fuel pumps Is there any concern with overpressurizing the carb? Do you have to Plumb in a fuel return or anything? When you mean "low pressure" what kind of pressure are we looking at? I may want to try one of these electric pumps Vs the vaccume pumps, do you have any particular pumps in mind ?

thanks

My Prestige with Command has the original pump and so does my Sovereign. 12 years on one and 20 years on the other. That seems pretty reliable. I would just buy original in either plastic or metal. The plastic pump is have the money and works just as well as the metal one.

The low pressure electric pumps use 2.5-4 psi, which the float and needle should be able to handle. No need for a return line. Carter makes an internally regulated one that gets good reviews for about $65. That's what I have on my VW kit car.

The CH25 in my Power Trac came with the mechanical pump. It lasted about 11 years and 850 hours. No experience here with the pulse pump.

The valve cover fuel pump interferes with the Sovereign hood. A pic of the 75th which had the pump:

IMG_4520a.jpg

And it's hard to see in the pic, but the hood was bent out for minimal clearance.I have 2 of the valve cover/fuel pumps available if any one is interested. One never ran with old style gasket (from an NOS 20 HP Sunstar Command); one used some (the one in the pic) with new style gasket.

IMG_4520a.jpg.16d3362bc940470448a5c23d41f60dd3.jpg

Well got the fuel pump in, removed and cleaned the fuel tank replaced the fuel lines, all for good measure. The only thing I did not do is remove carb and clean that.

Well I would love to report the problem was fixed BUT here is what happened. Filled up the tank and fired up the machine, wasn't happy with the fuel flow still. Ms hut the machine off and decided to re route the line from the tank. WHILE. Removing the line from the filter somehow my gorilla strength managed to pull the dam bushing from out of the bottom of the tankXX(. Yep insert expletives here. So long story short my whole garage by the time I could capture contain and remove the remaining gas smells. Wife I's beyond bull S at me cause house smells. Doors open to outside all night to vent the garage.

At some point I have to replace that bushing, I pushed it back in and it does not seem to seal anymore. I looked in the PDFs manuals I had (sect 4) and all I see is the part and no part numbers. There is the poly tank bushing that goes into the tank and the metal barb /outlit that goes thru the bushing. Also the gas cap needs replacing as the top is cracked which could allow water into the tank.

If one of you kind folks could help me out with these part # s. Need the BUSHING/BARB AND FURL TANK CAP/gague. This is a late/last model sovereign if somebody has the PDFs or can post the image ect I would appreciate it. Will call the local dealer but they are useless without numbers. Hope this smell goes away mumma is not happy with me, and I'm not happy with me either :(.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: found my "tractors bible" all set with the part #'s

And fuel line and filter and shut off valve

you have to take tank off to put parts in properly

Great opportunity to clean tank

had the tank off to clean it, however i pulled too hard and POOF fuel all over. Problem is that there are no simp dealers near me allot of dealers just do the snowblowers but not tractors :(

I wonder if i try a snapper dealer HMMMM

THANKS BLT

i noticed that the fuel tank fitting (1664460sm) is missing the internal screne. I wonder if that is the reason it just pulled right out of the bushing. STUPID QUESTION: how thes the fitting insert into the bushing? I assume it is pushed thru the bushing from the outside of the tank? There seems like ther should have been some kind of lip or rim to prevent the fitting from pulling out like this.

BLT any chance ther is a NAPA cross ref for the fitting?

quote:Originally posted by roma3112

THANKS BLT i noticed that the fuel tank fitting (1664460sm) is missing the internal screne. I wonder if that is the reason it just pulled right out of the bushing. STUPID QUESTION: how thes the fitting insert into the bushing? I assume it is pushed thru the bushing from the outside of the tank? There seems like ther should have been some kind of lip or rim to prevent the fitting from pulling out like this. BLT any chance ther is a NAPA cross ref for the fitting?

id="quote">
id="quote">You'll have to give them a call, can't help you there.

The screen is often removed because it is hard to check when it is plugged

The grommet is placed in first

Make sure area around hole in tank is clean

Then insert fitting the barb on the fitting holds it in place

Prob should have gotten elect pump and I prob still will some time, but seeing that the replacement pump cost 40 bucks I may wait till summer. That way there I can research and locate a low volume and pressure pumpè.

Blt. Local Napa had the grommet I will order the rest of the parts from jacks, simplicity dealers in mass are few and too far between XX(