Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt mounting on 42" blower....3012??????

lobsta1

I ran into a frozen chunk & shredded the belt. Put the new one on & it could not handle the snow. I would run in a few feet(both with full blower & half the blower) & it would jam up. Could I have the belt on backwards so the auger is spinning in reverse?

I have the belt coming off the top of the auger pulley to the bottom of the right pulley with the back of the belt going around then up over the PTO (vee down)& down to the left pulley vee in the groove & to the bottom of the auger pulley.

I appreciate your replies.

Thanks

Al

If you can turn the chute as far to one side as it can, you may be able to engage the auger, and HAND TURN the motor the right way it turns. Look down the chute, if you can. If the auger turns the right way, the belt is on the right way. If you can't see it, maybe put up a mirror in front of the tractor. That's what I would do. Good Luck!

Daniel, the problem is I don't know the correct rotation of the auger.

Kent, that bottom view looks like the way I have the belt routed.

Does anyone know the Simplicity belt # & what length it is?

Thanks

Al

Oh, sorry. If you look at it from the driver side, the auger should spin counter-clockwise. If your looking at from the passenger side, the auger should spin clockwise. Sorry, but I do not know the belt number off the top of my head. It all depends which type of hitch the snowblower has and the size of the pulleys. It would help if you could provide us with the model number. If you can't find one though that's ok. Someone will respond with an answer.:D

Either the snow pushes out in front of the tractor, or it comes out the chute. That's kinda the fool proof test of correct belt mounting.:D

Belt is on correctly.

Kent, thanks for the belt size & part #. Is that belt still available from Simplicity? Every web site I go to including Simplicity parts say to call. Also that # is superseded to 2106769. One web site says it is an HA belt for Simplicity but does not have that description for Allis Chalmers.

I'm wondering if I don't have the hitch tension PTO spring in the correct position. It seems to me that the belt is slipping when the blower gets a load. I ended up shredding another belt tonight.

Al

Part number has been superseded (Briggs changed all part numbers) but part is still available, AFAIK....

The All is manual that I linked the pic from should have instructions on correctly setting up and adjusting the blower. I've found that aftermarket belts will not last for this application. Too many twists and turns. OEM belt is specially designed with more cords in it so it doesn't stretch at 3600 rpm. Check to make sure all pulleys, including idlers, are correctly aligned, not damage, and turn freely. Finally, adjust tension per the spec. Make sure your finger style belt stops are in place and adjusted, so you can clutch it...

It may be the spring, but I doubt it. Spring is to disengage the clutch rod,relieving tension - not to keep tension on the belt. Tension is created by the idler pulley going over center when you push the engagement rod.

Make sure the idlers are at the right angles. They can get cocked pretty easily. If the bearings have play that will produce a misalignment too. Depending on the pulley sizes, I've even gone to a 5/8" wide belt for more grab.

The pulleys spin freely with no roughness. Noticed yesterday that when disengaged the belt is actually above the engine pulley. One of the manuals I was reading says the belt should be flush with the top of the pulley. I think the set collar has a bearing on that.

Thanks

Al

The belt being above the engine pulley is normal when disengaged. That is the clutching action. The pulley can turn freely without the belt moving. The belt stops on each side hold the belt, allowing this loop to form above the pulley.