Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 Slips in 3rd

B110guy

I'm having trouble with my B110 slipping in the higher gears. Does fine in 1st, wouldn't really pull my plow this fall in 2nd, and slips a bunch in 3rd as it gets to speed. The only way to push snow is in 3rd and she just won't do it. Doesn't smoke or squeal, it just sits there doing nothing. Belt seems ok, spring is good. What am I missing?

B110guy

Sheared woodruff key? Or the belt would be my guess. If you could get to look at the belt/pulley drive it would answer a lot fo questions. Pull up against a tree, put it in third gear and take a look see whats going on. If the rear pulley isn't turning, it has to be the belt slipping or the front pulley not turning due to a shot key/keyway. If the rear is turning, you should be able to see if the input shaft is turning; if not, sheared/shot key / keyway. If the shaft is turning,and it only moves in one low gear it would be internal issues, but it does not sound like that, it sounds like it just gets worse as you use higher gears.

Unless you have a sheared key (which it doesn't sound like), it has to be belt, pulley(s) or adjustment/tension on the belt. Are you sure it's the correct width belt? If too narrow, or if the pulleys are too worn, the belt will ride too deep in the V, and the sides of the belt will not GRP the sides of the pulley(s). It is the sides of the belt, not the bottom of the V where the "traction" takes place...

I'd start with a new, freshly adjusted belt... While you have it off, check the pulleys, especially the drive pulley on the bevel gear box. The sides should not appear rounded - they should be straight and smooth, though angled.

Yeah, straight 3 speed. I doubt it's the woodruff key as it'll pull a house in 1st. It has a couple other issues that need some attention. I'll try swapping the belt with my B10 tomorrow and see if the problem goes with the belt.

B110guy

Sounds like a bad belt to me. I presume that the belt get soso traction when under little to no load but when a load is applied of a higher gear, the belt begins to slip.

Could also be the slip clutch well, slipping. I had a B-110 that did the same to the guy I traded it to. The B-110 is the only model I am aware of that had this on the BGB pulley, earlier models had it on the trans pulley, later had none at all.

Curious about this slip clutch setup. My parts book shows the exact same drive setup from the B10, through the B110 and B112. Can you elaborate? My real problem is I only have 2 machines. I clearly need more tractors.

B110guy

quote:Originally posted by B110guy

Curious about this slip clutch setup. My parts book shows the exact same drive setup from the B10, through the B110 and B112. Can you elaborate? My real problem is I only have 2 machines. I clearly need more tractors.B110guy

id="quote">
id="quote">Me too. It is on the bgb pulley on everything after the B1 as far as I know.I have never seen anything but a standard pulley on the transmission on any standard 3 speed.

Did you swap belts to test? Check your clutch rod adjustment too. If the 2 nuts are too close, they will not allow the belt to fully tighten, especially if it is stretched.

Also check to make sure your pedal moves freely, I've had a couple start to seize, and only move so far. Once the belt stretches, the pedal can not come up far enough.

Check the spring or springs as well.

Also, if the idler pulley has a bad bearing it will cause issues too.

Been sick the last couple of days. One way or another, she's going out tomorrow in what should be a foot of snow for my boy to try and run. If all goes well and it's not arctic cold, I'll try switching belts. I added a second spring to help pull the belt tight, that seemed to help, but not like it should. I'm leaning towards bad belt.

B110guy

Ok, I was misremembering on the location.B) The B-110 I had was non-molested and the clutch was different than my B-12 with no rope shieve, that's why I remembered wrong. If the nylon ring in there is getting thin it will slip when you don't want it to. The slipping will be more prominent in high gear as it offers more resistance. I hope it's your belt, easier and cheaper to repair.

Extra spring in the short term ok, but very hard on bearings and pulleys in the long term.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for you so a new belt can be used which it really sounds like to me.

Update on my B110. It was warm enough to day that I had it and my now snowblowerless (busted belt, took it off) B10 out. The B110 clutch is missing both nylon bushings on the clutch. No idea where they went. I've never had the clutch apart and it's always been able to pull a house till this fall. Anyway. I took them out of a spare B10 clutch I have and she's back to strong as ever. Also played with the carbs and got them running smoother. When I get around to putting the B10 back together, I'll have to get new bushings. Problem solved and was a real easy fix.

B110guy