Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 416

goatfarmer

Going to look at a tractor Sunday. All I know is that it's an orange and white AC, and that supposedly it has a twin under the hood.

Did the 416 come with a twin Kohler?

Never mind, I found it "should" have a single cylinder Kohler. What other larger AC would be orange and white, and have a twin?

800 series lawn tractors had twins..

900 series had twins..

616, 620 and 720 had twins..

None had factory white hoods

The only AC's that had white hoods that I know of are the 300/400 series(and the lawn tractors of the same era) and these newer(last few years) lawn tractors they revived the name on. Those new ones might have twins..

It may be possible that it is a Simplicity 900 series which in a few years had hood decals which said "An Allis Chalmers Company" or something like that. Just another thought

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I picked 'er up today. AC 416H, single Kohler, hydro, rear lift, came with an extra set of rear tires, the wheel weights, and a mower deck,. Paid $350.00, a bit more than I wanted to, but still did OK I think.

4162.JPG

4161.JPG

One question, we got it running in the garage, and was starting to drive it out, it moved in reverse, and forward. Had to step on the brake, to prevent hitting a motorcycle they had parked there. After that, it wouldn't move either way. Anyone familiar with that?

4162.JPG.ce56dadadce540dac0d5c457ca0f65d8.JPG

4161.JPG.28ca90872af1bbfd007627783548b52a.JPG

Brake pedals are seldom used on hydros, it is stuck somewhere most likely, so the idler pulley did not fully return and the belt is slipping.

Hydro idler arm is a sleeve riding on a idler arm/ sleeve/bolt. Most of the time the sleeve rusts to the arm and when you do step on the brake it stays disengaged so your belt to the pump is slipping.

I usually have to disassemble and drive the sleeve out and emery it all real good, grease and re-install.

or simply... what Dan just said:D

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

Hydro idler arm is a sleeve riding on a idler arm/ sleeve/bolt. Most of the time the sleeve rusts to the arm and when you do step on the brake it stays disengaged so your belt to the pump is slipping.I usually have to disassemble and drive the sleeve out and emery it all real good, grease and re-install.or simply... what Dan just said:Did="red">

id="quote">
id="quote">Typed faster didn't I :o):o)

Nice find!!! These days I'd say that was a bargain. Especially for a 16

Now get an electric lift and you're all set. Nice!!! None of the 400s came factory with electric lift as i understand. They were all dealer installs. So rather rare rare

Side Note: I have noticed that the 300/400 tractors have the hole/mount in the firewall below the gas tank (same mount as the FDT) looks like for a hydraulic lift option. Did any 300/400 ever have a hydraulic lift??

oldsarge is correct mack redid his 300 with a hydraulic lift ... nice... guess the plans changed late in the game to use the electric lift only