Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
FatJay

Bought a 1964 Simplicity Landlord

FatJay

My neighbor is moving to a 55+ center and selling off everything. I have always admired his tractor, particularly because it had hte rear PTO blower and the grass cart behind it. I asked him what he wanted for it and $400 later I had myself a new to me tractor.

It has the deck, blower, trailer with hard walls, plow, and dethatcher. It could use some prettying up, but I use my tractors so it's not that big of a deal.

Anyone with any useful info about these, I'd love to hear it. I have many older tractors but this is my first simplicity.

gmPVMTv.jpg

6hx96R6.jpg

UUWUCyY.jpg

cKl0bIM.jpg

rokon2813

Nice looking unit. You got a deal!

What info are you looking for? You will find it all here.

1964 was the only year Landlord with the black dash I think.

The cart, blower and deck adapter are worth close to the total price.

Has the wrong lights, but all 4 hood bolts.

Wrong seat, and the fenders need to be stood back up a little but over all that looks very nice.

FatJay

He said he replaced the seat for one with a back support. The lights look terrible, but they aren't going to get broken by bushes and tree's.

I found this:

http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1964/landlord.htm

It had some nice info. I think I want to get a second lower profile cart though as I have some low tree's. I love how it's made though, I'm so tired of hydro transmissions. My last manual tractor was my cub 154 low boy and I regretted getting rid of that one as the guy drove down the driveway with it on his trailer.

Is there a good place to get parts to clean it up? Ebay didn't have hardly anything.

FatJay

Also there's an issue with the deck. There's only a raise arm on one side. It wasn't hooked up, so I stuck a bolt in and sure enough, only one side raises. Anyone have a good picture of what this is supposed to look like on the other side?

CRNIGiw.jpg

0aLAeJZ.jpg

FatJay

Also why is everything backwards from every other tractor I've had? The clutch is on the wrong side, the steering is on the wrong side, the deck lowering is on the wrong side, the engaging of the deck is on the wrong side? It's not necessarily that it's bad, it's just very different and a bit awkward to clutch with the right foot and move the deck with the left arm.

rokon2813

What parts do you want to clean it up?

A good scrubbing would make that look like a nice clean original.

Not sure if you can get the "correct" seat anymore, but you can come close. Some parts are still available new, others you just have to watch ebay for.

You can also place an ad here in our classifieds and you should get some response.

As for watching ebay, you will have to "learn" what to look for. Most of the parts and attachments for your tractor are interchangeable with several other models. Landlord, Landlord 101, 2010, 2012, 2110, 2112, and a few others, Allis Chalmers B10, Big Ten, B12, and a few others, Montgomery Wards Squire 9, Squire 10

Only a few minor things make your model unique. Otherwise it is identical to a B10, Big Ten and Squire 10. All made in the same factory.

As for a lower profile cart, I'm pretty sure you can just change the sides, using the same cart and same top.

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by FatJay

Also why is everything backwards from every other tractor I've had? The clutch is on the wrong side, the steering is on the wrong side, the deck lowering is on the wrong side, the engaging of the deck is on the wrong side? It's not necessarily that it's bad, it's just very different and a bit awkward to clutch with the right foot and move the deck with the left arm.

id="quote">
id="quote">Simplicity just hadda be different. LOLThe deck lift you have is all there is. It only lifts for transport, do not run the deck with it lifted. It is designed to ride on the rollers.

FatJay

Yeah, the belt interferes with the deck running, occupy's the same space as the belt. I was trying to lift it for transport, but it only lifted one side. I had 4" of snow on the ground, and with the deck down taking it back to the shed was a challenge because it kept getting clogged with all the snow.

rokon2813

It's hard to tell for sure in a picture, but it looks to me like the cross drive belt (pto to deck) is too short, pulling the pto to far forward to allow the deck to raise. It will always raise crooked, but should get both sides off the ground.

The pto tension spring "appears" to me to be stretched pretty tight also like from a short belt.

FatJay

Thanks!

I think if I adjust where the chain connects to the deck more towards the center it will work better. Right now it's strait up and down, and with as much slack as there is it's probably supposed to be more towards the center. I was able to reach down and lift the other side of the deck up to get over the snow, it didn't cause much pressure on the deck belt. However it is 21F and windy so I didnt' spend to much time on the ground messing with it.

And is there anything WD-40 *can't* do?

fishnwiz

Sweeeeeet tractor!dOd

Welcome to the club. You have come to the right place! Good deal on a nice original tractor....I vote to clean it and leave it if your going to use it.