Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohlor Timeing Marks

Glenn_Galle

Where are the timing marks on a Kohlor 12-14-16 HP. There is a hole in the flywheel cover but I can not see any marks on the flywheel when I had it disassembled. If the points are set .018 shouldent it be very close?

The problem is the timing mark isn't on the back of the flywheel it's on the edge. I've sandblasted quite a few Kohler flywheels and the marks are hard to see. they have 2 marks tdc and sp I usually paint the marks but never use them. The manual says 20thou on points. Guys on JD sites say the point gap relates to degrees of advance on the spark, to narrow a point gap is retarded to wide advanced to far. 20 thou is supposed to be 20 deg advanced.

I have found that timing with the feeler gauge works the best (even on the tractor pulling engines).

The Kohler flywheels were marked on jig in the factory, hard to see or non-existent. I had my K361 pulling engine degreed to get a solid timing mark. Found the TDC and 18deg timing marks close to a 1/2" off. The guy doing the work said "this is very common to see".

That said I played with light timing but it was too difficult to set up (trying to adjust points while engine running). I went back to the feeler gauge and played with timing from .017 to .021 and found as a puller engine it performed the best at .018. My working tractors I set them all at 0.20 and don't question.