Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Bent my subframe

huffy

So Saturday morning at about 5 a.m. I'm blowing snow with the Legacy when the blower stops lifting. I looked under the tractor and realized that when I would engage the lift cylinder, instead of raising the blower it was bucking the subframe. I'm not sure why this happened - I took the lift arm loose from the cylinder, and could pick up the blower by hand (heavy bastard), so I don't think the "pivot" was binding up or anything. In any event, here's what the subframe looked like when I removed it from beneath the tractor:

subframe - bent.jpg

Luckily I have a home-made hydraulic press, so I was able to straighten it back out in about 2 minutes. Then, after waiting nearly 2 hours for TSC to open so I could get some steel, I welded some 1/4" thick angle up both sides. So hopefully it won't buckle again:

subframe - straight.jpg

I finished the other 1/2 of the driveway after that, and it worked fine. But, in keeping with my crappy luck, right after that I broke out the walk behind blower to clear my walkways - and ran right over a sharp chunk of steel that I'd cut off when fixing the subframe, putting a huge gash in the tire. So, then I had to go back to TSC to get a new tire, then spend the rest of the morning fixing that.

57e059f5406d4_subframe-bent.jpg.a2a60d0605535ffca1bfc1741c03f56d.jpg

57e059f552020_subframe-straight.jpg.91e8fee81b87710cddc09a90e56e6976.jpg

rich_kildow

I feel so much better now! I thought I was the only one to leave metal objects laying in the snow so I could find them later with the snowblower. Problem is, mine was half of a doorknob and I sucked it into the auger on a Craftsman single stage attachement...bad news.