Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Viva-la-B-110

Larger AC tractors

Viva-la-B-110

Hey guys--

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of buying an AC D10. Anyone have any experience with one or know of a good deal on one? Thanks!

rickpilgrim

Never owned but have seen many D10-12 tractors. Keep in mind in your search that the D12 is very close if not identical in size/power so include that in your hunt. I grew up on an Allis Chalmers powered farm and everything from the WD's thru D17/19 to 185 up to Gleaner E did all we asked from them and more with very little downtime.

babablacksheep

The D-10 was the smallest of the D series farm tractors, and served as a replacement for the venerable AC model B farm tractor. The D-10 had more power, better hydraulics, and a completely different hitch system from the B. Early D-10's came with the AC snap couple hitch that pulled from a large hook in a bell under the differential housing. Most of the later ones were equipped with category one three point hitch. Snap couple implements are scarce, but if you find a good tractor with that hitch, buy it anyway. Three point hitch adapters are readily available and fairly cheap.

mtoney

Wish I had the place to keep one. I have only had the chance to run an old wd45 with a bush hog on the back for an afternoon many years ago. I definatly admire the big boys at the shows and on youtube. Mike

Chris727

Make sure it doesn't jump out of any gears. That is common on D-series. Also the D10 and D12 are getting more collectible and are bringing more $$ than some of the D17 and D15 tractors.

DaveBsACs

D10s are very handy to have around.Like Chris said watch out for unusual noise in gears or popping out under load. 3rd gear being the worst. I have a D14 that earns its keep moving snow. D17 with loader.Had a D15 and it was noisey in gear but never jumped out.snap coupler implements are found pretty easily around here.Rims and tires are where a lot of money can go if they are bad.

D-17_Dave

D-10 is sized for single row, D-12 for 2 row. Otherwise they are basicly identical tractors. That said there are several versions or Series models. Some of the more favored being equipped with live hydraulics and factory 3 point hitch. A select few with factory power steering.

Talntedmrgreen

I've personally been watching the D10/12s, having fallen in love with the small size. They aint cheap....my favorite recently was a D10 Industrial, with hard cab. They all sell quick.