Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy snow and ice issues

RickS

The last major storm we got consisted of light fuffy snow and very cold temperatures. After clearing the snow for two hours the motor started to race. When I tried to slow it down the throttle had no effect. The only way I could alter the engine speed was with the choke. I put the tractor in an unseated garage and shut it down. When I went to start it a couple of days later it would not even turn over.

Since I am working seven days a week I had the local dealer take a look. The starter was full of ice and snow. The throttle was frozen. Two days in the shop did the trick. All that said what can I do to prevent that from happening again?

Rick.......

In my snowmobiling days I kept my cables lubed with a product like this, http://www.protectall.com/cableluberlong.aspx .

And as for as the starter, my thoughts are a heated compartment or hair dryer connected to thermostat and keep the thermostat at about 80 degrees to me melt and dry things. In my unheated garage, I store my beer and soda. In the winter I have the same concoction to keep the beer and soda a comfortable 40 degrees.:D:D

Running our AC 912 or PowerMax tractors for the snow route(8-12 hrs steady) we use the red Heat brand fuel de icer mixed about 1 bottle to 10 gal fuel to keep the carb from freezing up and causing runaway throttle.

We never froze up a starter but that's because they stay running on the trailer between jobs and our trailer has 4' high plywood sides.

You could probably make a fabric "boot" to shield the starter or anything that keeps the snow out of there. Alternatively you can by a small Quartz heater, put it underneath and use sawhorses ( 1 for each side and parallel to tractor) and a movers blanket to help thaw things out while in the garage.

We only have 6-8 weeks of this left this yr......

Rick it sounds like the governor linkages frost up, I have no experience with the Legacy but it can happen with any tractor with snowblowing, wind and very cold.

Is there an easy, safe way to enclose/cover the linkages and the starter?

Sometimes a very simple change can make a big difference. On my AC917, I have found that I put a simple magnetic sign over the vent slots on the hood of the tractor and have not had a freeze up since.

On the old single CI Briggs a simple heavy canvas covering the area by the governor linkages and it never froze again (I already had the carb heater tin).

.... Other than these "mechanical things mentioned" in previous replies, you may have encountered "Carb Ice", a build up of ice

in the carb throat or manifold.....This happens under certain moisture and temperature conditions.....It doesn't happen often

and is not easy to detect......Aircraft with recipricating engins contend with this issue all the time.

The best solution is to feed warmer air to the air cleaner

area and prevent ice buildup.....If looking for solutions, notice what Snowblower MFGs do to the carburetor intakes on their machines, you usually see a plenum feeding Muffler Heat to the carb....

maybe a small alum duct feeding some of the waste warm air off one of the cylinder jugs back to the carb area to keep that area warmed up? I pipe some of the warm air off the diesel in my 920 back into the cab to keep it warmer. Alum cloths dryer duct works well for cab heat. Mike

I never thought of the carb icing but I bet that was it. So Ineed to find red heat I think the local parts store carries it.

Rick....

And this is what it looks like:

AntiIceBafflea.jpg

Installed:

IMG_6163a.jpg

I bent the "Remove above 45 deg" tang down so it would fit.IMO, it's way overpriced from Kohler; pretty easy to make.

AntiIceBafflea.jpg.5745bcddc3643c6710b80d1eaa80698a.jpg

IMG_6163a.jpg.bb973f90fb151a193880e554c08fdcd5.jpg

Bill that may do the trick. Can you make a drawing with measurements so I can try and make one.

I did just finish clearing the snow off my driveway and with a can of sea foam and heat in the tank I had no issues.

Thanks

Rick.......

I have the ice problem with my 7116, Blown snow collects around the throttle stop screw and effectively locks the throttle open, I've been thinking about fabbing some sort of shield to keep the snow out. Anybody tried this sort of thing?

Routing warm air to the carb is attractive, but not a project I'm up for in single-digit weather, especially with the snow cab on.

I just noted an old post (2005) by Smilin' Sam on this subject. Unfortunately his photos don't show up, but in the same thread I do see a pic of a baffle made by gih which is sort of what I was considering.

Rick,Finally got some time to make the drawing of the baffle:

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle01a.jpg

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst01a.jpg

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst02a.jpg

I had to bend the large tab down to fit between the engine and gas tank in my Sovereign. The "stock" baffle has the large tab straight out so you can see it more easily. And if I remember correctly, if the large tab is left unbent, then the air cleaner cover has to be cut as shown in the instructions. With the tab bent down, it's under the cover.

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle01a.jpg.2cf2985c66d9d39af036906832e26740.jpg

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst01a.jpg.7ed4d06767dacde576897ad3899c33a6.jpg

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst02a.jpg.750e1edc5a0c84254ba63f5e6fd8034b.jpg

When you get done blowing snow throw an old blanket over the engine and tuck it in nice and warm;) The engine heat will help to thaw out any left over snow and ice.

I'll also do the blanket trick with a 100 watt trouble light next to the front of the engine to warm it up a bit. Do this when you go to bed the night before.

My issue only but when "cold" my starter won't engage. It spins but won't pop into the flywheel. I have an oil leak and I think the oil is just to stiff to let this happen. Summer job coming up! The trouble light IS A MUST if I want to start my engine.

Ken