Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten back on duty after an 8 year sleep

ridgerunner

I took the old Allis out for the first time, after being unused since 2007. I forgot how fun these little tractors can be. She runs perfect yet. Hard to believe it's a fifty year old tractor.

Nice to hear from you Paul!

Yeah, Im always impressed by how badly these little machines want to work. Keeps the interest alive for me. They have a feel cool feel to operate.

Yeah, it’s been awhile. I've been doing my driveway with my old wrecker/plow truck, and when the snow gets really gets deep, I have a 60 horse CASE IH with a dual auger two-stage 6 1/2’ snowblower on the 3-point. We had a lot of snow with high winds come in and I used the plow truck and also needed the Case tractor to clear it away that night. The next day when I got out of work the driveway was somewhat decent, but there was a little clean up needed. I figured its been along time since the AC has seen any action, so I gatherd a battery and some fuel. Put about a gallon of fuel in the empty tank, and proceeded to watch it pour all over the ground under the tractor. The fuel lines from the tank (to the filter to the shut-off valve) to the carburetor were rock hard, and cracked and split in multiple places just letting the fuel flow out. Pulled off the side cover and closed the tank petcock. Lucky I had some new fuel hose on hand in the barn for such occasions. Ten minutes later, had the hoses changed and installed the battery. Hit the starter and she came to life purring like a kitten. The rear tires on it, that I installed 2” carbide tipped studs in, were still holding the same air from when they were initially put in years ago. I did the clean up on the driveway and admired how nice of a job it did. With the plow truck and larger tractor with the blower, there is always some spillage and leftover snow. It’s hard to get away from that, with the way the property is laid out and the where the barns are located at. I think the little AC earned it’s spot as a clean up tractor, and will be used on a regular basis from this point on.