Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Running blower off mid pto

rokon2813

Just curious, with the talk lately of running a snow blower off the mid pto;

Has anyone ever tried it with a FDT ?

The blower pulley and pto pulley would pretty much line up, all needed I think would be an idler on the hitch, without twists or angles on the belt.

I have no need for one, was just wondering....

Tried it yrs back on the 2012 and learned a few things.

1st-drive pulley on tractor to small, low blower rpm-4" pulley needed

2nd- belt tension spring to soft, a lot of belt slippage. Cannot "lock" pulley in place either

as you need some movement to raise the blower. More sprigs help but I quit that

when I noticed how hot the mule drive was getting. Optimum tension is around

The time you see the mule drive grease start turning to liquid and dripping out.

3rd- Those sheet metal pulleys on the primary side of the mule drive don't handle

the load very well, it may be coincidental that my lower pulley split when I thought

I figured it out. I was using a Kevlar belt on it, hit a chunk of ice when the shaking

started.

At this point I gave up and made sure the 912 and 7117 were always ready for winter and if I really wanted to do a mid drive it would be hydraulic pump and motor.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Interesting.... Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">Your Welcome. If you want a snowblower that works good for long hard use on the fdt tractors we started this(commercial yard care) 28 years ago with an HB112 Allis with the 3 belt blower. We were running 14 driveways and about 1 1/2 mile of sidewalk on at most 2 belt sets when it was serious winter. if not for the 900 or 7100 series mid pto tractor I'd likely be running the 3 belt.

That is surprising that there is someone who actually LIKES the 3 belt blower! I have no experience with them but hear a lot of guys who don't like the 3 belt versions. Very interesting.

The 3 belt worked well for what we do, but to get it there all new bearings,Simplicity belts tension springs basically rebuilt the complete unit. Our HB 112 had a rebuilt 14hp Briggs, hydraulic lift and even though the Vickers lacked reverse speed it was fast enough to get things done.

I never had to brace or reweld that 3 belt 36" and for the 6 yrs we ran it it never failed us, but that may be due to our maintainence and using Simplicity parts whenever it needed them.

The 42" SS is wider, but pounding it over all the side walks and driveway ends leads to a lot of cracks unless you brace, reinforce and double side it. To run it efficiently you need tight paddle to housing clearance and at least 16 fresh hp or more. Our 912 runs it well and has add on's like hydraulic lift and fluid, wheel weights and pre loaded diff to make it more like the old HB.

I doubt my 2012 would run the 3 belt as good as the HB did and I suspect that has a lot to do with opinions of the 3 belt.