Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MrSteele

PTO clutch will not stay engaged

MrSteele

Finally got off the crutches, and weather warmed up enough to cut the wild onions in the front yard. Also dragged my lawn roller over the yard to aggravate the moles that have been having fun all winter.

Problem, though, is that the PTO refuses to stay engaged. It is adjusted with 3/4" clearance on the spring, everything looks lined up, have just enough play at the lock nut to allow movement of the linkage. It stays engaged for several minutes, then just pops out of gear. What is bent that should be straight?

MrSteele

Thought I wrote that, must have been thinking but was so happy to get out without crutches that my mind and fingers were not listening to each other!

The tractor is a 1964 Landlord. While I was building the tranny last year, I tightened up most of the slop in all linkages, including the PTO links, steering gear and front end. Used the mower all last season with no problems at all on the PTO assembly

rokon2813

Is the rod bent?

From the top "corner" down through the spring and to the pto should be straight. Many over time develop an upward curve, so essentially, the handle is not going "over center" far enough to stay engaged.

I would engage it with the tractor not running, and either; push down hard on the handle to put a slight downward curve in the rod, or smack the rod between the handle and the spring collar once with a hammer if you trust yourself to not go too far.

I've done a bunch, so I use the hammer :P

MrSteele

Before I had the response. I decided a smack couldn't hurt. I gave it a 5lb hammer smack on a chisel on the linkage, used it for several hours after that, and hope to use it more tomorrow, 19 degrees and all.

As long as leaves are dry, I will grind/mulch them. Thank for letting me know I am in the right order of solutions