Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

throttle control cable disconnected at lever end

DMKNLD

In this brutal cold we've been having of recent in the NE I've had problems with my throttle and choke cables freezing up on my 7114H. I went to start it up to snowblow for the umpteenth time in the past 2 weeks and I found out that my throttle control cable apparently either snapped or become disconnected at the lever end, under the dashboard.

I was able to gerry rig it to run it WOT with a heavy bungey cord connected to the speed control bracket, so that I could get the driveway cleared, but it was too dark and too cold to mess with trying to troubleshoot it after I finished.

Do I need to pull both the battery and the gas tank to get access to either reconnect or replace the cable, or should I pull the steering wheel and come in from the top of the dash?

I looked through the various parts group schematics, but couldn't find a good diagram of how the throttle cable connects to the throttle lever under the dash.

The best and only way to attack it is by lifting off the instrument panel. Anything else is pure aggravation, been there done that. Also, disconnect ground cable.

Thanks BLT - it looks like to get the instrument panel off I have to remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft and then remove the collar that attaches with the two screws around it?

My instrument panel is cracked already, so I'm worried about busting it completely when I go to take it off. I'm wondering about just mounting a generic throttle control assembly on the outside of the dash ?

The steering wheel will probably be a bugger to get off. I'd go in gas tank way. Battery is easy to remove and it makes getting the gas tank out easier.I have modified all of my RBT tractors and put a slot in the gas tank pan, then I do not have to disconnect any gas lines. Gas tank comes out in a few seconds.

TRgascut1.jpg

TRgascut2.jpg

TRgascut1.jpg.6d2ef9dfe9c1b8ccd059cc5797ea4e60.jpg

TRgascut2.jpg.eaf50b3d2ecf9306d42abb10898767b3.jpg

If memory serves me, it's pretty easy to get the steering wheel off a 7100 series tractor. There's a thru bolt holding the wheel to the top of the steering shaft. You don't have to remove the collar; just the 4 screws holding the top dash plate on.

Lift carefully and note the position of the wires to the amp meter so you can put them back on correctly. I think the connections are "push on" rather than eyes that bolt on. And as BLT stated, disconnect the negative battery cable to avoid sparking if the amp meter connections touch ground.

quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

That is if the 5/16 bolt is not rusted to the shaft! I've already had to drill them out!W

id="quote">
id="quote">Been there, done that! C

The early 7100s had the trough bolt like the 3400/7000 the later ones had a cap screw holding down the steering wheel on a rectangular/tapered shaft. This cap screw sits down in a nice well that holds water...you can picture the rest.

• 2 months later...