Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Calling all Kohler Experts

mikeman

Picked up a 7117h (kt17 series 2)not running. According to seller made some knocking noise and started leaking oil. So far pulled heads both pistons moving. Looking it over found front seal lip pushed out.

IMG_20130106_160946_826.jpg

Does the seal normally set that far in?I guess my real question is knocking noise? not a rodOil leak? Some of it crank seal but seller said it leaked all the oil out sitting there. Oil level right know is on tip of stick.

IMG_20130106_160946_826.jpg.844988ff95cfd46361d125c21b7b9c88.jpg

The seal can get pushed back in that far, and when it is pushed in that far the bearing can eventually wreack the seal.

Kohler manual as the PTO seal to a depth of 1/32" + 3/64" - 1/64".

New seal should be installed over a sleeve so the keyway does not cut the lips on the seal.

I have changed a couple of these without pulling the engine out or any disassembly.

First I clean up the PTO shaft so it is nice and smooth.

I screw in a couple of small sheet rock screws into the old seal and pull it out, and then I wrap the shaft in wax paper, just past the keyway.

Slide the new bearing into place and use a tool (I believe a 2" pipe works great) to tap the new seal into place to the above specs.

Search SimpleTractors and you will find out more on this same subject.

I have a KT19 series 1 that appears to be leaking behind the flywheel. No easy fix for that. Oh well, nothing better to do I guess:( It'll have to wait till spring though.

Ken

quote:Something like this might help you chase down your leak quicker.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Thanks that is a good suggestion. I may have to try that.

Hopefully no holes in crankcase, then I can start it to see if there are any strange noises.

Pressurized crankcase found loose fuel pump.

20150218_171220.jpg

Can't really see pump (it is above clean spot.)Tightened it and no more big leaks.A loose fuel pump could be knocking noise and definitely a major oil leak.Will check for more leaks and maybe fire it up to listen for any bad noises.

20150218_171220.jpg.e3e765a7f9defe7534cc0ea6d00ea665.jpg