Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member, old transmission

SYatcko

Hey all. I am the proud owner of a 1975 system 5010. I have successfully removed 4 feet of snow, 8 liner feet 18" wide of 2" concrete and a nice chunk of concrete wall. I am amazed at the power.

Skid shoes adjusted so I stop removing my driveway. But the main issue is that my transmission is stuck in 3rd. I was up near a wall and shifted into reverse to back away. It lurched forward chewing up the concrete wall. Once I got my wits about me I shut it off. Now the only thing it can do is move forward.

It will slid into second but not move. Will not move into any other gear. Plus it moves if I come off the clutch while in neutral.

Help please?!?!

welcome to the site. had this happen to my dads 6216 years ago plowing snow. I put it in second like normal made my pass and then i went to put it in rev and it was stuck in second. We split the rear diff and found one of the shafts in the transmission twisted. We got another shaft and all is well now.

Hello Steven -

Your transmission is stuck between gears. It happens infrequently, and can be fixed without too much effort. I see you have found the

video by club member "Zippo Varga" showing how to do it:

It may take you a couple of attempts but is well worth your time.

Have you tried it?

I also see your want ad for a replacement transmission.

Good idea to get one if you can, because your 40-year-old tractor

(5010 from about 1975) may have a lot of wear.

Any transmission from a Broadmoor 728 or 738 is the same thing,

and you might have better luck looking for a whole tractor.

Good luck!

Tom, in Milwaukee

I have a guy who wants to sell me an Allis Chalmers b110. But not until spring, hasn't run for a few years and I'm not sure the parts will work. Plus he wants $400.

R u speaking of the 5 or 6 gear manual transaxles? 'cause there is a real PITA in the manual shift at the shift linkage. It could turn out to be the thickness of one washer makes the difference.

o go from forward to reverse on the manual transmissions it all depends on the shift fork moving a bevel gear over to a chain drive. In very cold weather the so called permanent lubricant "Bentonite" becomes almost a solid mass.

There are many variants of he transaxles in the 3000 to 6000 series machines. Each with it's own quirks.

FROM THE TECH LIBRARIES---

For all the various transmissions (drives)

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=18&area=&refID=&cattitle=Transmissions+and+Rear-ends

more specific to tecumseh/peerless units...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/Peerless_Tecumseh_Drive_Systems.pdf

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Originally posted by SYatcko

I have a guy who wants to sell me an Allis Chalmers b110. But not until spring, hasn't run for a few years and I'm not sure the parts will work. Plus he wants $400.

condition.

Originally posted by goatfarmer
quote:
condition.
id="quote">id="quote">And parts will not interchange with your 5010. Although parts for the B110 are pretty plentiful.

Grinch. That's what I have. Played with it for a second. It's always in third. Shift lever must be pulled up and will shift left and right. Pushed down it will not shift left or right. Definitely in third based on the speed. In neutral it still flies forward.

Lawn mower races maybe? :-)

Sounds to me like you will probably need a new trans or You will have to pull yours apart to seee what is wore.my experiance with the old Broadmoors is if its stuck in gear something is shot if you get it unstuck it gets stuck real soon after.

quote:Originally posted by bud119195

Sounds to me like you will probably need a new trans or You will have to pull yours apart to seee what is wore.my experiance with the old Broadmoors is if its stuck in gear something is shot if you get it unstuck it gets stuck real soon after.

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds like a spring project unless I can find another tractor to be a donor.

Yes you basically have a Broadmoor. All tbe talk of zippos video and a bevel gear box are incorrect. You have a engine a couple belts and a transmission. I have a transmission for an earlier model that will work but its only a 2 speed which is like your second and third. Your other option is to take it apart and see whats wrong.

quote:All tbe talk of zippos video and a bevel gear box are incorrectid="quote">
id="quote">

Not true. Yes the specific tractor in Zippo's video has a BGB and is a different tractor than yours. However, the screwdriver in the fill hole trick is the same. I know. I had a 728 Broadmoor, which is essentially the same tractor as yours, years ago, and I had a similar problem. I was able to get the shift forks back in line like the video shows. I would hate to see you tear the whole thing down without trying to rectify the problem this way, first.

Yes, it may happen again, but if you get it straightened out and take some care in shifting in the future, you would be surprised how long it lasts. Maybe for years, like mine did.

Just saying that telling the guy to watch Zippos video he will be confused because the tranny in the video is not the same as he has. Maybe some principles are the same but it is a different Transmission is what I was getting at.

I deduced that the trans I have and the one Zippo displayed were different. My gut says wait till spring. it is currently single digits here. Cold and old metal makes me think it is brittle right now.

quote:Originally posted by SYatcko

I deduced that the trans I have and the one Zippo displayed were different. My gut says wait till spring. it is currently single digits here. Cold and old metal makes me think it is brittle right now.

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds like to plan to me. Spring sounds even better. Had to "bench" my 4212G for the winter. Doing a transaxle transplant is not "fun", it is curently "engine down" (governor (or more) Kaput). a lot of the transmissions from the 70s-80s have to be shifted when in a dead stop No "on the go" with these gear boxes.W

New trans obtained from CTD01. So hopefully I'll find some time to get it in tomorrow. Plan to drain and change out the fluid first. Any suggestions on what is best to use?

• 2 weeks later...

I was taking a look yesterday at how the rear end attaches. It left me with two questions. Where is the best point to jack it up, and how does the clutch and idler pulley attach? I'm more worried about the lift points. I was thinking about placing jack stands under the running board/ foot rests. I'm just worried about their strength.

you can take off the collar jack it up under the big steel plate in front of the rear diff ( the piece with hole for grease fitting and split it. Take the belt off first lol. If you got the tranny from me thats cool but just curious how i didnt know about it:D