Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor of the Month - April 2015

SmilinSam

Tractor of the Month Contest
id="size4">

April 2015id="size5">

This months contest will be :

"Rough Unrestored Working Tractor"id="green"> id="size6">

Looking for what you folks use everyday without concern to looks. Can be a throw together from the parts pile, a unrestored uncared for original, or any other rough old cob beater tractor that does its job without complaint. An interesting story is a big plus here on this one. .id="red">id="size5">

Voters will choose the best overall entry and its presentation id="navy">
id="size4">

Open to:id="size3">

All Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Lawn & Garden Tractorsid="orange">id="size5">

As well as all other names made by Simplicity and/or Allis Chalmers id="orange">
id="size5">

Please Note:
id="size6">

All pictures submitted to Tractor of the Month contests should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation

Also: If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

id="size4">

Tractor of the month contest guidelinesid="size3">

1. For club members and registered users. This also includes all officers, moderators, and administrators.

2. The selection committee will determine each monthly contests criteria. Equipment that does not meet theme criteria will be disqualified by the committee and removed from the submission topic.

3. The tractors submitted can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuild - or as specified by the committee.

4. This contest is open for owners to enter their own tractors, or by having someone else nominate them - upon which owner must accept and post entry.

5. The contest is limited to the first 8 entries submitted. This due to the poll system only being able to accommodate 8 entries. Following the 8th entry, the contest topic will be closed to further entries. Votes will be taken in the normal time frame as stated below.

6. Post your entry as a reply to this topic. Narrative and pictures are required - This to tell its story, and to convince voters why it is deserving of being the next Club's tractor of the month.

7. You can enter a tractor/equipment multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once that tractor has won, you cannot submit that tractor again for a year on any subject.

8. Each contest will have a entry submission period beginning the 15th day of each month and lasting to the 15th day of the following month. Once the submission period is over, the current nomination topic will be locked and the next opened.

9.Following each months submission period, a poll topic will then be opened and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in the nomination topic. All members and registered users are eligible to vote. Vote will last for a period of two weeks , from the 15th day of month to the last day of each month. The new winner will be declared on the 1st of each month.

10. Wining tractors each month will be posted on the club home page for a period of one month, 1st day of the month to the last day of the month, and a Contest winners hat will be sent to the winner.

11. Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

12. All pictures submitted should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation. If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

13. Final vote results will be posted to Poll topic at the time the Poll topic is closed. These posted results are the official, and FINAL results that will determine the winner each month regardless of any further votes cast After the polls have been closed. This is stated because while replies cannot be made after a poll topic is closed, apparently votes can continue to be cast. Its a technical issue that we have to work around at the present time.

14. In the event of a tie, the following procedure will be in effect. The tied winners will share having their pictures posted on the Club home page, each having an equal amount of the months time in the spotlight. There will only be one hat awarded though, and so there will be a run-off vote between the tied members for the hat. This vote will last 2 weeks. The winner of this second run-off vote will receive the winners hat.

If a tied winner has already won a contest and a hat, the hat for the tied contest will automatically be given to other tied winner who has not won one yet.

id="left"> id="size1">

Okay, if there’s ever a Tractor of the Month contest that a Simplicity that I own could possibly win this would be it. It may not be the ugliest beater out there, but it’s an amusing look at the result of a certain naiveté and luck of a first time buyer. It’s a round hood Landlord, approximate vintage 1964. I way overpaid for this tractor and the 42” deck and non-Simplicity snow blade that came with it. I paid $400.00 in 2005 and it included the trailer, which was a piece of junk HF bolt together, fold-up trailer with a bent a-frame and tongue. I had to drive about 100 miles into Kansas to buy it and haul it back. Only another Missourian knows the pain of that! Considering the shape the trailer was in, looking back, I’m surprised we didn't lose it along the way. It’s a good thing Kansas is flat. Since then, the trailer has been useful as a yard trailer only. I’ll never take it on the road again. I’ll go over the numbers here and the story behind them.

totm-1.jpg

1) The engine is the heart and soul of this machine and it couldn’t have had a better one. It’s a 14 HP Kohler Magnum single. It has run and run and run with few hiccups for going on ten years now. The only work I’ve ever done is replace the starter (Those darn things are expensive!) and I replaced the carburetor because of a broken throttle plate shaft. (Less than the starter!) I’ve changed the plug a few times and religiously changed the oil, about once per month during cutting season and change the air filter about once every season. It starts every time, winter or summer. There’s still little oil loss, and plenty of power to push two feet of snow. I thank her and tell her how much I appreciate her every time she starts up. 2) The frame was cut away in the bottom and some on the sides to fit the Kohler. In addition, various pieces of scrap metal were used as spacers. But it’s held up and stayed in place. I’m not sure if a Briggs would even bolt in there anymore.3) The frame repair was pointed out to me by another member on here when I bought it. I was told that many will crack there but I’ve yet to see another one like that.4) It came with reflective tape applied to the sides of the round hood that I don’t think was factory. (Just joking, I know it wasn’t factory!)I tried taking it off, but I think it will take some chemicals or a lot of heat to get it off, so it’s still there.5) The steering wheel was the most interesting part. When I bought it I thought they just came with that kind of steering wheel (Doh!) until someone here pointed it out to me. That was my first purchase, the correct steering wheel for this vintage Landlord. The second purchase was the correct size drive pulley and Simplicity Drive Belt as (through this site) I found it had the larger low speed drive pulley. Second gear mowing was a lot better after that.6) It came with a cobbled together snow blade that attached with two clevises welded to a piece of angle iron. It was operated by the lift arm by a cable that ran from the right attachment point for the lift arm up through a large eye bolt attached to a piece of angle iron that was bolted to the engine head. It actually sorta worked, but the first time I tried to use it, when I hit something that didn't give, it broke the cable and folded under the tractor frame and wound up with the tractor sitting on top of the blade. Yikes! I’m just lucky and glad I didn't have my legs anywhere near the frame when it happened. It would have chopped them right off! Needless to say, that thing got scrapped and I invested in a spring trip blade for it. It has happily plowed the drive of snow ever since.All in all I've gotten more than my money’s worth out of it. It has mown almost three acres of grass in up to 100 degree Missouri summer heat weekly every year for three months for the last 9 years. There have been some expenses; a BGB was probably the biggest expense and repair for it. Some good turf tires, wheel weights and chains, were put on it and some wheel bearings. I’ve since traveled into Arkansas and bought a much nicer Landlord 2010 with a 16 horse Briggs but I haven’t rehabbed it and put it into service yet because I haven’t had to. I’m hoping the “Mutt” can give me another year or so and I can do the rehab on the 2010. That’s her story. She isn’t much to look at but she just keeps keeping on. Sometimes I feel bad that I keep working her so hard, but I also feel if I parked her for a parts tractor that would be painful also! I hope this wasn't too long, but you did want a story. sm06 Here’s how she looked after the last snow removal the other day:

totm-3.jpg

OK, I guess I'll give it TRY!IN order to replace this little beast..and it's problems

craftsman.jpg

INTRO - This is about what was originally nick named "Rusty Rogue" a 2110 Landlord. Zippo and I recently changed it to "SLUMLORD". It is a 1968 2110, 10HP, 3 speed with Hi-Lo. It was purchased (in 1972) from the PO for $700 with a 42" deck, and Tiller. Used for lawn maintenance of my 1+ acre lot, and to take care of a 50 x 100 foot garden, in addition to another 30 x 150 foot lot (used for larger crops like corn and potatoes.The weed cutter $40, and blower $75 were added later (from the same PO). The PO would not part with the 2 8 HP tow-behind decks, and was using the sale proceeds to pay for the 12 HP Jacobson, which he used in his lawn care side business.I was kinda jealous of my next door neighbors new HB112. the 10 HP LLs were going new @ $100 per HP, and the HB were going for $200 per HP. The 46" blade and shredder, came from a mower salvage yard laterThe engine was reworked at a machine shop, after my sons neglected to check the oil level and blew the rod. It was bored to eliminate the egg shape wear, and the crank turned to remove the chaffing from the rod. new valves, and guides were installed.Around 2006-2007 the ignition was changed to an automotive coil. a new seat was installed.The only other mod was the addition of fuse and connectors added to fire model rockets! LOLAT work in 2003, just about this time of the year (to the day).

IM000423.jpg

The early model NLA "no-spill" can (DR Power) actually worked!Had to start with the 46" blade, to get to the blower in the garage behind the the "Voyager"

IM000424.jpg

And a lot of the customary "back and forth"

IM000425.jpg

The "Voyager" is freed from the drifts...and I have access to the garage

IM000436.jpg

and the blower can be mounted onto the "Slumlord" dOdThe chains are retro fits from automotive 8.10x16 "V" bar chains. The wooden wedge, held on the deck with a bungee cord, is to clear the chute as needed...NOW to clear the 400 feet of driveway, a couple more COLD hard hours of effort, sure beats shoveling by hand!!!dOdsm00sm06To read more of the continuing life of "Slumlord see...http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120645&whichpage=1

This is my 1963 Simplicity 725 with origonal bolt together deck that I picked up a year ago on Craigslist. The origonal engine would have been a 7.25 HP, but someone stuffed a 12 HP briggs in it. Runs great & has lots of power. I just use it for mowing. I did swap the front rims & tires over to the origonal narrow ones so it would be easier to steer. Very fun to drive. The only cosmetic thing I added was a orange seat cover. I also added some rear wheel weights for better traction on hills. This is my favorite tractor I have for mowing, it just looks old & cool! 8D Here's a link to the post when I first bought it last year. Thanks.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138831

CIMG3537.jpg

CIMG3538.jpg

CIMG3540.jpg

CIMG3542.jpg

Since there are no other AC's entered as of yet I will throw my worker into the running. This is my "late" B-110.

IMG_0193.jpg

This tractor almost became a parts machine in my boneyard. It had a broken connecting rod. A buddy of mine gave me a possible runner 243431 and I installed it in this machine. A few years of use cutting the road ditch and it began knocking badly. I had to borrow the 12hp intended for the B-212 project and it has now been in the B-110 three years. I only mow the flat ground now. This tractor is a little bit of a frankenstien with a Gilson fuel tank in it with the twist-lock cap like on an old pickup. The tires and wheels are from a B-12 but the front tires are "Cub Cadet" brand. The right side panel is from a B-112 and I never changed the decal out. I did put a new seat on it last winter. It has done everything from moldboard plowing:

IMG_5773.jpg

To brush cutting:

IMG_0637.jpg

To snow removal:

DSCN0223.jpg

I did selective clean up but I left much rust patina on it.

DSCN0228.jpg

This has become one of my favorite tractors.

• 3 weeks later...