Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rbstuartjr

Frozen/ stuck choke cable

rbstuartjr

On my Allis 910 with K321 engine, the choke cable seems to be frozen either from rust or ice. I have been using this tractor with a 42 inch snowblower for years and have not had this issue before. I know it's been really cold here in NY but it's never stuck to the point where I can't pull the knob out. It's the original knob/ cable with all rubber sheathing intact. I did get it unstuck, but it's really stiff. I took the end off the choke and pulled rubber cap off and shot SiliKroil down the end for a few minutes. Then I took a propane torch and warmed the cable until the Kroil was boiling out the end, then shot more Kroil down the end. Waited a few minutes and by pulling and bending the cable hoping to break up any ice if any. Well she finally pulled free and I lubricated knob end and put it back together. I can get it to work, but it's really hard to pull. This is the second time this has happened in the past 2 weeks. The first time she pulled free with a couple of good tugs. This time not so much.

Any suggestions to either lubricate it better to free up rust or help keep the moisture from going down into the cable sheathing so it doesn't freeze up?

GrincheyOne

rejuvenated a choke cable by creating a tube of 1/2" PVC with a cap on one end, filled that with the PB-Blaster left in a couple cans, where the propellant ran out. Took the cable and soaked it in this tube. the

cable loosened up fine. I have yet to weather test it!

W

MikeES

A trick I used on snowmobiles is to put a small wad of grease where the cable enters/exits the sheath. Creates a nice seal that keeps moisture out.

Also suggest spraying the sheath anyway...there may be some cracks you can't see on the bottom side.