Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad Luck on 3212

1978Simplicity7016H

I finally got some weekend time to put the hydro-lift on my 3212. With about 1 hour of pushing and pulling and pounding on the lift lever with about a gallon of WD40 I got it off. So I got the hydro-lift put on it and put it back together. I pulled it out of the shop and the lift worked well. So because of the 4 inches of lake effect snow, I put the blade on it. I go to lift it for the first time with the hydro-lift, and it doesn't have enough power to lift it even at full throttle. So I knew I needed to plow, and for some reason felt like plowing rather than blowing, I just assisted it to raise the blade. I'm about half way done. I put the travel lever in forward and it doesn't move. I reach back hoping it went out of gear, but it didn't. I got off and looked around......the axle tube is broke. So now I have yet another tractor in need of a tube (B-10, Homelite T-13, and now the 3212) Oh well, I guess I'm not the only one that broke an axle. This spring I plan to put a used tube in the B-10 from my parts 2012. The Homelite and now the 3212 I'm getting a new ones for. Sorry I write so much. I write with a lot of detail.

Man that's rough. I haven't had a broken one yet but do have some with worn keyways and cracks. The tubes aren't cheap. Don't feel compelled to apologize for writing with detail and good grammar. That is a good skill to possess which seems increasingly undervalued in the "text message" era.

Haven't gotten to the 3212 yet, it's been a busy week for me. It even still has the blade and weight box on it. I guess it is not the end of the world. You could have worse things happen to a tractor like the having the motor lock up or have it catch on fire. It still has many years left in it. I'll just have to do my part by putting a new tube in it.

Hey Daniel,

I have a 1969,2210 that I am going to change over to hydro lift. I have the lift sitting in the shed and I am waiting for spring to covert it. I found it on e bay and got everything but the rear cylinder mount (will have to make one) and it looks to be in good shape.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you

Gene

Thanks Kent I looked through that manual beforehand. I was looking through the calandar this morning and I realized something... I started that project on Friday the 13th..:o:O:O

I've done a tube a couple winters ago on my 64LL. Worth the money to get a new one though. At least you know it won't do it again for a long time.