Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7119H starter removal

ketchk

How do you get to the rear bolts on this engine the front i see the rear and covered by the engine. KT 19 My started crapped out waiting for the new to arrive I have to work in a unheated car tent so i have delayed crawling under. i appreciate all the help. do i have to take the drive shaft apart. I bought this tractor because i have a hard time walking and cant walk behind a snowblower and this year NJ is getting a lot of snow

I think MikeES said, not for sure though, that the bolts starter side could be removed and opposite loosened up enough to roll starter side up enough to remove the starter.

well got off my sofa and took the starter off i kept the drive line in tact and removed the two left hand bolts and loosened the right had a chain hoist lifted the engine a few inched and took the side covers off started came off without a hitch. the gears were pretty worn and no movement instead of trying to repair i ordered a new one just waiting for delivery. wow the flywheel looks like its in a grease jello mold. cleaned some out but will have to wait for spring to do a major degrease thanks for all the support

Getting the starter off a KT engine can be done either way, but I typically remove all motor mount bolts, but nothing else. This gives the easiest access to get at the sheet metal screws.

If that flywheel area is that bad...I think you have a leaking crankshaft seal under the flywheel.

Question. when i pulled the old starter off i loosened the two through bolts and pulling starter off. it separated in sections the back half middle and gear section. well got new starter and the through bolts are tightened all the way when i back them out to install it, will my starter fall apart again

Don't mess with the starter through bolts. Put the new starter into place, the bolts will extend through the mounting plate and then screw nuts on to the end of the bolts to secure to the engine.

Note: if there are nuts on the end of the through bolts remove them (without turning the through bolts) and use them after the starter is in place on the engine.

Mike you saved me a lot of misery i replaced a lot of briggs starters but never one on a kohler of this style. i thought the through bolts screwed into the engine itself there is so much grease and derbies i think its the original starters i just walked out to my tent at 9 30 tonight and checked and you are right the nuts must of just came off when i undone the through bolts and i lost them cleaning out the debris Thank you for the advise

Well my son stopped by to help install starter and went great im back to plowing and just in time as the snow is falling in North Jersey Thanks to all for the info on putting it in. I dont know if its age or eyesight or just working in 0 degrees but im glad it running thanks again Andy

The only way I do it is to take the motor of out the tractor. When I do, I only take the left shroud off and tip the motor so it rest's on the right side. The way I see it, there's no of doing with the motor in the tractor.

if a summer job yes take the engine out that way a good look over and cleaning could be done. as it was o degree in a tent and i had to plow in a few hours so tipping it was good enough but this summer i have to pull it out and clean everything and see what i got thanks for all the help Andy