Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

TheLawnMowerMan

What's a good price for a Sovereign with the triad

TheLawnMowerMan

I know the history on the triads failing. My question is what would a good price for a Sovereign with a triad be, knowing the problems with them engines. The one I found looks good and has a 42" blower, 48" deck, wheel weights and chains. They're asking $1800, but to me it's too much with the triad. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

SmilinSam

Heres how I figure price based on what I see stuff bring in the auction setting, all in otherwise good condition:

Soveriegn with blown triad and power steering-$600

42" blower for same tractor -$250

48" mower for same -$200

Weights and chains -$75

Total- $1125

If its currently in good running shape you would have to add around $600 back into the mix, putting the package right where he is asking. Convincing a owner that the engine in his tractor is a time bomb is a futile effort and probably unfair to him, so unless you are comfortable in taking the risk, or have a cheap engine waiting in the wings, best to just pass. If it doesn't have power steering, I wouldn't even sniff at it.

Talntedmrgreen

I'm pretty darn close to where Sam's at on his figures. I've never personally seen a deck go $200 over here, but they seem to be essential for selling a tractor, and have had many non-collector types jump right to what Simplicity get's for a 'new' deck, so they carry weight with most folks, I'm sure. I can't get rid of them. My local consignment auction seems to get $50-120 for a nice 48".

I have a Sovvy18/Triad for sale right now, and have barely had a sniff from anyone. I put $1100 on it locally, with a 42" deck & Power Steering, to see what happens. The Triad is actually a very nice running engine. Mine leaks like a sieve from the valve covers, but shows no signs of buildup in the cooling system that would lead to the overheating and sleeve-drop issues.

A very nice 23hp Command (400hrs) was here locally as well, for $500, and I was real tempted to make the swap. BUT...this thing should be run till it dies, IMO. I bet it has a lot of life left in it if maintained. I had a blower on it and the Triad pulls like a mule.

TheLawnMowerMan

@ Talntedmrgreen, Where are you located? The one I'm looking at is about a 5 hour round trip away from me. I'm located in South Bend, IN. If you're closer to me I would definitely be interested in seeing yours. My biggest problem is transportation, since I have to rely on my brother for hauling it for me since I don't have a truck or trailer.

goatfarmer

Josh is up in Dorr MI, just south of Grand Rapids, about a 2 hr or so trip.

If I knew some of the history of a tractor with a Triad, such as hours, service history, usage, I wouldn't hesitate on buying the right tractor with one.

Talntedmrgreen
Originally posted by PeppyDan
quote:
id="quote">Im sorry Dan...wasnt reading, and had Bobs bull session tomorrow on the brain. I WILL be at the hathering in OH on the 21st and could certainly bring a machine or three!