Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

920 charging system diagram with picture

mtoney

Does anybody have a good wiring diagram for the charging system on the 920 diesel? Hopefully with some good pictures of what wires go where on the voltage regulator. Obviously a more complex setup than the more normal 3 wire system used on other engines(2 yellow AC from stator, 1 red wire DC to battery). I cant find anything decent on our dealership system for Simplicity/Allis or my Lombardini manual. Thanks Mike

Thanks Carl. My other issue is with the manual angle control of the spring trip snow blade I have on the tractor. The control rod for the angle, fouls on the mounting point of the blade for the lift rod. This jams the angle rod. I will get pics once daylight arrives as I am getting ready to head out to clear side walks as I type this. Thanks again. Mike

If you have charging problems, check the plug on the voltage regulator. It tends to work loose from the engine vibration. May need some electrical cleaner also. At least that fixed mine.

Mikeman, did you use the standard 3 wire Briggs one? 2 yellow ones in, one red one out? I know the replacement regulator like is on there now is quite pricey. Going to tackle that once get the engine back in the tractor after a drive shaft coupler disc failure resulting in a bent drive shaft. Mike

Ok, so where does the red wire go that goes back to the stator in the factory system? I have 2 yellow and the one red as shown in the above diagram. For the briggs set up, the yellow would go to the yellow AC wires from the stator and the red output from the regulator goes back to the battery. Mike

Mine is like the first diagram, has a red wire coming from under the shroud, along with the 2 normal yellow wires. Just want to make sure I dont burn something up if I try the briggs regulator idea. Mike

I like the 25 amp Kohler full-wave regulators (PN 25 403 21-S). ~$50 on eBay. They will handle more current/power than the Briggs regulator. The Lombardini puts out more current than a Briggs. Similar hookup: 2 AC inputs, a DC output, and of course the case must be grounded.

Mike,

Those 3 wire Briggs regulators are rated up to 16amps. So, don't be surprised if it fries due to the Lombardini stator putting out a max of 20 amps. They regulate by shunting the excess current/power to ground to maintain the battery voltage ~~14 to 16 volts. The regulator/rectifier that CarlH recommended would have been my 1st choice also.

Tom (PK)

quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Mike,Those 3 wire Briggs regulators are rated up to 16amps. So, don't be surprised if it fries due to the Lombardini stator putting out a max of 20 amps. They regulate by shunting the excess current/power to ground to maintain the battery voltage ~~14 to 16 volts. The regulator/rectifier that CarlH recommended would have been my 1st choice also. Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">Briggs have 20 and 50 amp regulators.http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_id.pdf

Well, so far its holding up just fine, was a freebie off a junked motor from last summer.

Here is a pic of her in winter gear. She is now inbetween seasons, cab and blade are off the tractor now. Mike

WP_20150305_001_zps6dwlah2n.jpg[/url]