Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax used by Military

isetta

Have read here and other places that the US Military used Simplicity Powermax to move airplanes around. Were these made to a military specification and how do you tell them apart from a non military model?

"An aircraft towing hitch was advertised, which would tow planes weighing up to 25,000 pounds."

Many of us keep an eye out for tractors in the Powermax family and were thinking there may be some out there in military colors or numbering.

So I wish I had pictures, but I have a B110 (currently in parts) that was used at the local airport to move airplanes in and out of the hangers. Mind you the airport is not big and is used mostly for corporate planes. Someone welded to the front axle a hitch similar to the picture above. Then, since I'm sure weight was a problem, a 430lb weight piece of solid iron was bolted between the axles. I know it was 430 lbs cause I scraped it. Other than tires being extremely worn from so much time on asphalt the rest of the parts wouldn't indicate any abuse. I'd say partly so because of low hours. I've picked up other tractors used for mowing that show more wear.

I have a 3310 that was used at a local airport to tow airplanes that weighted up to 3000 ,maybe more . Seems like I have seen a picture somewhere of a military Powermax. On level ground they are certainly capable of moving that much rolling weight

quote:Originally posted by isetta

Rokon rocks!! Thanks for sharing that drawing. How did you come up with it!!!????

id="quote">
id="quote">It came in a stack of manuals from a closed dealership. :D

Just did a better search of the forum and sure enough there is your old post on the mystery part. Am still learning how to navigate this place. Thanks again Rokon for that pic and info.

Hey Brett, I would say more like enlightened which is what this awesome site and group is all about. Can't believe all the stuff I have learned here sm01

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Well, I stand corrected. Whoda thunk?

id="quote">
id="quote">

I had a good friend that worked as a head mechanic at Midwest Express Airlines in the 90's. I recall he had to travel to a different city,(don't recall which one) to work on an airplane that was damaged by one of the "mules" or "trucks" or whatever they called them, that they use to move aircraft. It screwed up something in the nose wheel assembly because it was too small / light to move that particular aircraft. So the plane needed work on the nose wheel assembly. And if you have ever looked at those vehicles that move aircraft, they are extremely heavy, very powerful, and geared accordingly. Yes, I can now see that the Powermax or other tractors could move small aircraft, even small jets. My mindset was as I stated, "Maybe Cub Trainers?". It looks like they moved aircraft bigger than that. How much bigger? Well it looks like a small corporate jet. So, as I said, I do stand corrected, and somewhat surprised.

Yep, I agree those tuggers or mules look very stout and heavy. Sure surprised me to see the info about the Powermax moving airplanes. I kinda like that front hitch attachment Rokon posted. Im thinking about making something like that to move trailers around.

To bad you don't live closer I have one that someone made it is set up with a snow blower cylinder so you don't have to get off the tractor .Have never used it but it is heavy

Is this made for the Powermax tractor? A couple pictures would be great.

quote:Originally posted by ka9bxg

To bad you don't live closer I have one that someone made it is set up with a snow blower cylinder so you don't have to get off the tractor .Have never used it but it is heavy

id="quote">
id="quote">

For a jet like a Citation or Lear I have worked in hangars that had walking tractors to pull around. On one airport we used golf carts for all but the heaviest of the private stuff so I would think a limited slip tractor should be decent for a good bit of the lessers.

• 1 year later...

I should have the one posted around somewhere.

I hadn't considered, nor do I remember parting with it.

You interested in original or copy?

Laying my hands on it quickly may be another story. ;)

I have a home made one that has a 2" ball/Pintle hitch on the front instead of the clevis. Previous owner made it for pulling helicopters in & out of hangers. I haven't used it since the loader went on. But it worked great for putting trailers in & out of my building!