Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mtoney

I hate it when the drive shaft flex coupler shreds

mtoney

Just as I was loading the 920 on the trailer during the last snow storm, the front flex coupler decided to let loose. Finaly tore into it today at work, shaft is bent, rear coupler was delaminating. My boss got out the torch and heated up the shaft while it was clamped in the vise, then I straightned the bend. Took 2 reheats as it was a compound bend. Its pretty darn straight, might have a little wave in the middle but lays flat on the bench. It was more like a rainbow when it came out. Had to pull the diesel out to remove the shaft, what a PITA. Tomorrow I will degrease the engine area before putting the whole thing back together. One motor mount was real soft, so that is getting replaced as well. She did real well pushing snow till the shaft went. Mike P.S. I will snap some pics of the remains of the coupling disc and the tractor sans engine tomorrow at work.

BLT

B 4 you install shaft, bolt a flex plate at each end then roll it on the floor. While rolling the discs should run straight a parallel and if they wobble in and out, that will cause problems, when I don't know.

mtoney

Will do that tomorrow, one side already has one of the new discs bolted in. Is the shaft a standard item, shared by all the large frame Simplicity/Allis tractors? The shaft is on backorder from Simplicity, I checked today, so that leaves other sources if I need to replace it. And I would need it fast as this is what we use at work for side walk clearing that we are subcontracted to preform. Mike