Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 23D Rebuild Questions

MittenB10

While it's freezing cold everywhere and I'm still finalizing some interior shop details, I figured maybe I could start to assemble some parts for my 23D. Broke a connecting rod a couple years ago and mothballed it.

Looking to start the parts gather and reviewed my manuals. Looks like there are a few different variations of the connecting rod, primarily .020" undersized pin.

I've found a couple NoS rods recently but am wondering if I need to disassemble everything first and are there measurements I need to be concerned with?

I would use micrometer and measure the crank to see if it is in spec. Before I bought a .020 rod. It maybe in spec. and you may get by with a standard rod

Same with the bore.

Yes you need to disassemble it and check crank. If it needs turned, have machine shop turn to next available undersize rod. Most of the time I let them get correct one.

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

Might want to magnetron the ignition while it's apart. It converts nicely with a bracket and 10hp flywheel. :)

id="quote">
id="quote">Good suggestion! I need to do some searching and reading on the process. I know a number of members have done this and it would be nice to get rid of the old car coil bolted to the top of the engine. Do you suggest any specific posts or just do a search?Cheers!