Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 transmission gears worn?

dragman64

Hi. My names Walt. Haven't ever posted before. I have always found what I needed through searching. Tons of info in the archives. I have a 1964 B10 that I'm restoring. I have the transmission apart. There is a lot of wear on the reverse, second pinion gear. Like half the width of the teeth are gone. When it enguages the reverse idler gear, there is only about half a tooth of contact area. Should I just run it because it's only reverse? Or should I be looking for another gear?And somebody has welded up the first, third pinion gear. It's not exactly true (as you can see in the photo), but it did work before I took it apart.

image.jpg

image.jpg.c9fac9624dfd4c6f5563c7d228cafd1e.jpg

The reverse second gear is on the left, just like it sits in the transmission. The outside of the small gear farthest to the left is the one I'm most concerned about. I don't have any pics of it meshing with the reverse idler gear.

It would probably work fine for a while, maybe a long time.

If it were me, and it was already open, I'd change them out.

How do the other mating gears look?

Just my opinion, but I'm gonna try to sell you a set of gears if you go that route, so my opinion might not matter so much. LOL

It ran ok. It's the only B I've driven, so I have nothing to compare it to. Sometimes it was a little funny shifting, but I think that I had more to do with the shift linkage bolt being worn. I just wonder how long that gear will last?

Another odd thing about this transmission is the axle tube. I think it's homemade. There is absolutely no sign of a zerk fitting ever being there. And the keyways are cut with an endmill, instead of a fly cutter- like they would use in production. There is only one keyway for the main drive gear. I beleave there should be two (the gear has two cuts in it). It looks like it's pretty well made. I think I'll check it for cracks, cut a second keyway, and use it. I'm not sure if I should I a zerk fitting? Seems like that is just adding another failure point.

Whoever went through this left out a couple thrust washers on the axle tube. There was about a 1/4" of side to side play. That's why I took it apart.

If you plan on using the tractor for work of any type,then I would replace them. If your just restoring and taking to shows and such then it would get around with bad gears. Personally I would replace them while its apart. You should be able to find some good used ones. Or a complete axle assembly.

I would replace also.had gears that looked like that in my small frame tractors.and the problem I had with them is they would get stuck between gears when shifting and would have to do the old scredriver trick to get it in gear again

Welcome to the club!

IMO...If you already have the case split open, replace the gears! You already know how much work it was to get at these gears in the 1st place....do you really want to go through all the work of putting it all back together only to have a failure again?. I really don't think that welding and regrinding would stand up for long if the gears were not tempered or heat treated for strength after the repairs or if that is even possible?

Best of luck on your repairs.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Post us a few pics when you get her up and running again! We never get tired of looking at others tractors!;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Trying to! Having trouble posting them straight from my iPhone. The edited app (to resize) keeps on giving them the same file name. I'll keep working on it and figure it out.