Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wis34

7016 starving or overheating?

wis34

My 7016 with the 42" snow blower is a beast! But recently it has started to die on me. When the engine is good and warm,usually,but not always after the job is done....on the way up hill to the garage, the engine suddenly bogs out and dies.(best description i have is like if you run it straight into a snowbank it can't handle). Usually, i can get it started right away,but will die out again if i try to keep climbing the hill. Rolling it back down to level ground seems to help...as does letting her cool off...which doesn't take too long at 12 degrees. Any thoughts on where to look for the problem? Carb has just been rebuilt(thinking the float bowl was draining).....and has plenty of fuel in the tank. The engine seems to run fine otherwise.

BLT

Check your fuel flow. It's possible that it's slowly plugging up. I have, had a similar problem. I installed from the tank a fuel shutoff valve then a bronze fuel filter in clear plastic . If I get a problem I check the filter to see if there is any crud in it and if there is, I can shut off fuel, remove the filter tap out the crud, re-install and go.

wis34

Thanks guys...it's almost always the simple things, so I'll start with the fuel filter. I did check the level of the float when i had it apart...but will check the manual again to make sure i didn't miss anything.

DanD

Do you have the winterizing kit on it? If not you may be getting ice and snow on the governor linkage and it may freeze and bind it up. I have had this happen on mine. Perhaps when you shut it down for a while the linkage melts off? Just a thought.

wis34

Wow...why do the simple fixes make you feel so stupid? Went to put a shut off in the fuel line...when i started to drain the tank i found the problem....clogged vent on the gas tank! SHOULD solve my problem i think. DanD-- I do have my own version of a winterizing kit(just a shield to keep the snow from the hood dripping and freezing onto the linkage) hasn't frozen up since i put it on.

Anyway....the forum comes thru once again!

Thanks all!