Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can't decide

phillobbezoo

I recently came across a legacy xl with 3pt pto and the 3 cylinder deisel, from what I have found out I can get it for a very fair price. Now what I can't decide is, do I buy it try and find a loader front blade and a snowblower and the 3pt attachments I want/need. If I would go this route I would have to sell my powermax tractors to keep my wife happy. Of witch I have 3, along with a lot of attachments like a loader,brush hog, tiller, front blade, snow blower, 3pt finish mowers, back blade a parts tractor, an extra motor 2 extra pto shafts extra tires and list goes on. It would take time to sell it all and I'm proud of all the stuff I have for these tractors and the prices vary on everything is worth. I have spent alot of time finding all this stuff and I would hate to part with it all, but I like the idea of one tractor to do everything like the legacy, I'm torn on what to do and wonder if anyone has any input on these tractors and how they compare if there is any comparison, and maybe just some insite that would maybe help me make a decision.

Phil, I know this probably ain't what you want to here but it would a cold day before I would part with my 620 and 720 took me too many years to finaly get. just my $.02

I personally would keep what you have.

Who knows how long and at what cost it will take to find everything for the other tractor.

I love not needing to change attachments every time I want to do a job and many times will be using multiple tractors on the same project with different attachments on each. Seems to me I also heard the legacy diesels at one point had cooling problems but I'm not sure if it was an isolated incident or a somewhat common problem.

Dan

Starting over with new equipment is a major upheaval and expense in the long run, and the short run as well.

The only reasons strong enough to do it for me would be, and has been, to save space in the shed, reduce the amount of maintenance, and to get away from continual repairs on worn and aging equipment.

..and also in some cases, if your aging body just cant deal with some of the work on the older stuff anymore.

If your equipment is in good shape and not giving you any trouble and you have room in your sheds...that's something to consider.

I've had the discussion many times with her before I think 3 times, each time I bought another powermax. The other times I won but this time it was made clear that I wasn't going to win, due to the fact we ordered her a new car and it should arrive in the next few weeks. Room isn't an issue there's attually room for a few more tractors. For the most part everything I have is very sound despite a few small oil leaks that will be addressed if I decide to keep them. I love tinkering with them when I want to not when I have to thanks for the input so far guys.

Tough decision man. I wouldn't take the 3 powermax's for my one XL, but that's just my opinion. I like collecting the old stuff, but the Pmax line never had that appeal to me. The Pmax's are neat old workhorses, but just aren't as user friendly. They have the collectable factor going for them though, whereas it's hard to imagine the XL ever having that. The XL has that 'new' look that isn't all that appealing to folks like us (I assume), but after driving both, the XL seems better suited for work asked of a machine this size and is much more comfortable to operate. The 4x4 and power steering put it leaps ahead of the Pmax, and then there are all the other improvements. You can use it like a subcompact, or put the deck and and mow like a Sovereign.

It's much easier to mount/dismount attachments, and has features the Pmax doesn't offer. Attachments for these are far more common than those for the older machines in 2000rpm...rear stuff is just common Cat1 540 pto ag implements.

You are more than welcome to stop by and give my XL a test run if your seller doesn't offer that. Half my stuff for it is buried beneath a tarp and 2' of frozen snowbank.

I have such a hard time with this because these tractors are more of a hobby then anything else, I own part of a excavating company so when it comes to any real kind of work other then cutting the grass and brush hogging 3-4 times a year I just bring the skid steer or backhoe home from the shop to do any serious work. The loader tractor is basically a motorized wheel barrel other then that it dosent get used much at all. Like you said Josh they are a pretty cool collector tractor, I struggle with simplifying things and if I would really benifit from selling them or am I going to regret it 6 months from know when I walk it the barn to one tractor.

Based on your comments, I think you would regret letting your older machines go. I have in the past, and it seems you don't have a strong need for a more efficient worker. If you enjoy using the older machines for chores, then I'd stick with them. If you are feeling slowed down and require better service for chores, then the XL would be the ticket, but you have alternatives at hand for those situations.

Phil,

I have power steering on two of my Powermax's one with a front blade that also has power angle. That one has the 8-16 ag tires, it is a terrific snow plow machine, no chains required, so my blacktop does not get scuffed up from plowing.

The other one with power steering is my loader tractor, it is a whole lot easier to handle heavy loads with the PS.

I would not give up either of these machines just for there usefullness, not to mention the pride in having restored them.

Now the other 3 Powermax's I have are another story, yes there is such a thing as too many Pmax's!

My 2 cents.

John U

Well said John. PS would be a must for me on a machine that size, and the pride factor is the common link among us here. ^

By no means are mine perfect or even fully restored the one I put the electronic ignition on is the one to finish this year if they are kept, and by the way thanks for the help with that John, still runs flawless since. I think for me it's more the pride of having these tractors, I do enjoy using them and I do like having them around. Went out to the barn yesterday may sound weird but mainly to try and make up my mind and I started all 3 of them and they all fired with out hesitation and one of them hasn't had the key turned since October the last time I cut the grass. I'm starting to think they will keep there spots in the barn I will keep tinkering as time permits. Thanks for your input guys definitely helps to hear what everyone has to say.

quote:Originally posted by phillobbezoo

By no means are mine perfect or even fully restored the one I put the electronic ignition on is the one to finish this year if they are kept, and by the way thanks for the help with that John, still runs flawless since. I think for me it's more the pride of having these tractors, I do enjoy using them and I do like having them around. Went out to the barn yesterday may sound weird but mainly to try and make up my mind and I started all 3 of them and they all fired with out hesitation and one of them hasn't had the key turned since October the last time I cut the grass. I'm starting to think they will keep there spots in the barn I will keep tinkering as time permits. Thanks for your input guys definitely helps to hear what everyone has to say.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think I let the cat out of the bag with the electronic ignition conversion. Parts to do the conversion are getting to be more and more expensive on e-bay! John U

Hard to beat those old Onan CCK engines, a very good industrial design in its day. I have the same discussion with my wife over our 920, it can be a pain in the arse at times to the point I am ready to send it down the road. But to replace it with something that can do what it can isnt a cheap date. About all it needs now is ag tires on the rear, the rear lift system and the charging system fixed. But with a deep cycle battery, I get by since the diesel needs nothing electricaly once started. Mike

Around here if she gets something new then we're out of balance and I have a little more wiggle room to drag more bits of junk home :o) For sure it works that way if I drag something new home first.....

It takes a brave heart to try and balance tractor / spouse!

Can't help with the decision, but was curious if anyone else noticed the Freudian slip Phil had in the opening post... just three words after "wife", he accidentally used "witch" instead of which. I'm just saying...

I have a Legacy XL diesel with 4WD and front-end-loader (FEL). I absolutely love the Legacy XL, but would never part with even just 1 Powermax in order to buy a Legacy XL. Also, it will take a very long time to find a good used FEL and a snow-blower for the Legacy XL. If you really want a Legacy XL, wait until you find one with Diesel, 4WD, 3pt, PTO and FEL all in one package.