Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Think I need a loader

OrangeMetalGuy

Seriously...

Lots of seat time today on the 716 Hydro. Loving my remote angle/spring trip plow (with Armstrong lift, the only way to go for plowing IMHO).

But after 4 plowing sessions this afternoon and tonight, I am out of room. I'm kinda land-locked here, and if I had a way to lift and dump that would make life much nicer.

dhoadley

A blower would be cheaper and would get the job done (to a point. I'm having trouble cresting the pile!), but a loader would be much more versatile. You also may find yourself grunting like Tim Allen in "Home Time".:D Dave

SmilinSam

Never liked using a loader to move snow, especially when it starts sticking to the insides of the bucket.

Switched from a blade and loader to blowers a long time ago. Only place I use a blade now is in front of my shed.

Talntedmrgreen

I love using a loader for anything I can....BUT, its the very least efficient way to move snow.

I prefer to plow until the piles close in (normal winters give us a thaw or two that greatly help), but if you have a pile problem, Id vote blower.

I do like using a large blade on a loader....piles are much less of a problem then, and its acensored1.gifof a lot more fun that a blower, and can be much quicker.

Talntedmrgreen

I love using a loader for anything I can....BUT, its the very least efficient way to move snow.

I prefer to plow until the piles close in (normal winters give us a thaw or two that greatly help), but if you have a pile problem, Id vote blower.

I do like using a large blade on a loader....piles are much less of a problem then, and its acensored1.gifof a lot more fun that a blower, and can be much quicker.

spyder400k

snow blower all day long. once i started blowing snow. wont push it anymore. by pushing it in piles u end up getting farther away from the pile.in a bad winter u run out of places to push it. i have piles 8ft high this yr here. all done with my blower.

colincox1

I am blessed with several orange tractors I have one set up with 42 plow and push smaller falls in to piles along side the driveway and parking areas and then get out the snow blower set up and make the piles disappear . Never got to 8ft piles yet and I guess if I did out would come the magnum engined sunstar loader setup , if I could get it started a bit troublesome in the really cold times:(!. Big falls of snow straight out with blower^

HubbardRA

I agree that Scott needs a loader.

After having and using both a blower and a loader, and having been to Scott's home, the loader will be the solution for his problem. He has a small lot with several buildings on it, and his neighbor's are basically the same. His driveway is "U-shaped" and goes around his house with two entrances onto the street. He has very little lawn to blow snow onto, only a little in the front. Hard to blow snow when the only open spot is your driveway and that is what you are trying to clear.

Scott does, however have a hill on the back of the lot and a gap between two of his buildings where he could dump the snow down the hill. This is not a situation of which is better to remove snow (a loader or a blower), this is a scenerio where only the loader can do the job that Scott needs. He needs to be able to pick up the snow and dump it over the bank before the next snow comes, so that he has room to plow his driveway again.

A blower is much better at clearing snow than a loader, only if you have an open area to shoot the snow onto. In a subdivision with only small lots and no place the shoot the snow, a large tractor-mounted blower is not really the best solution. I know that a person could shoot the snow down the driveway and move it all to the back then shoot it over the bank. It would, however, be much quicker to use the blade for a single snow. The mounds of snow could then be moved with a loader at a later time. Also a blower is a single use item, while a loader can be used for many different things.

Blowers are cheap, loaders are expensive. If Scott wants a loader, then I agree that it would be the most useful to him. Now he needs to find one that he can afford, or build his own.