Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Kt19 series2 blow by

ketchk

im the proud new owner of a Simplicity 7119H and it plows snow great. after about 4 hours of plowing i took off the air cleaner and noticed a decent amount of oil covering the bottom plate. i just changed the oil to mobil1 5/30 for the winter and know kohler calls for 30 weight. i do get smoke when just starting up that clears in a few. tractor runs great when should i be concerned and what to check thanks Andy

The only area I would be the breather, your kt19 probably has the old style breather. Here is a link for you to ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-035-02-S-KOHLER-BREATHER-ASSEMBLY-5203502S-5209622-KT17-M18-M20-MV16-MV-MV20-/271739141384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f44ea3d08

Its listed under the kt17 but it is the same for the kt19. I hope this helps!

I have seen in another thread on here where other guys have plugged the hole in the air cleaner plate and run a tube from the breather towards ground.

If the engine runs well and has good power, I agree with Ryan. Check the breather first. That can be a very common issue. A new assembly is about 25-30 bux as I recall.

I have a 917 with a KT17 series II. It has the same condition that you have. I have a good working breather but it still did not stop the intake from sucking oil out of the crankcase into the carb. It would burn 1/2 qt of oil every 4 to 5 hours. I would have a big puddle of oil laying in the elbow ahead of the carb and all over the inside of the air cleaner.

So I plug the hole in the air cleaner and ran a breather tube from the valve box down below the frame (to prevent and oil mist from mucking up the tractor).

No smoke and no oil usage all summer long.

I seem to have an excessive amount of blow-by, but I still have 110 psi compression.

I have another 917 with a KT series I, that has the same compression but does not have the excessive blow by and no oil is sucked into the carb.

So I agree to check the breather 1st. Hopefully that is your problem, you may just be missing the oil mist collector/filter.

Here's my take:

I used to have this same issue with a KT19 II. After messing with numerous fixes I came to the conclusion that oil will not make it into the air cleaner unless the crankcase is building pressure. The vent to ground works because the pressure is relieved without the added vacuum of the carb pulling oil/air from the crankcase.

I finally pulled my engine apart and found a bad front cover seal as well as excessive clearance between the valves and valve guides. New valve guides, rings, and gasket kit. Not only is the engine running better than ever, I've also eliminated the horrible backfiring at shut down.