Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simply diesel power

jrmorrill

Just because I need to justify purchasing my GoPro camera somehow:

It's my Simplicity 3210v that I repowered with a Yanmar diesel clone.

Are you running any fuel treatment in your diesel fuel? I have done several repoweres with the clone diesels and never had to preheat the fuel lines ect to start, even in single digit temps. Make sure you have Power Services or similar in your fuel, and start with the throttle at full power. This is also how the old 7790/920 diesels must be cold started, with the throttle at full power. I keep my fuel treated year round as it also helps with the lubricity of the fuel. This new stuff doesnt smell or feel like older diesel fuel. Awsome repower though, didnt see any black smoke while throwing, plenty of power there if your not hardly getting into the govenor and loading her down. I so wish Harbor Freight would stock the clone diesels like thier clone gassers. Mike

No special fuel treatments in the system. In the summer the engine fires up nicely. In the winter it will turn over enough to drain a standard automotive battery without firing up. I know because I've swapped the typical garden tractor battery for one that fits a Honda Element. By chance that battery fits perfectly into the compartment without any modifications at all. And then I get the bigger CCA and longer cranking time.

Perhaps there's something else causing trouble with cold weather starts but I can say with certainty that after heating the upper and lower injector pumps the tractor starts after only a few cranks. Without the heat I can drain the battery and drank for at least 60 seconds with not even a pop from the engine.

I did the swap just a few years ago. The engine will certainly smoke when it lugs through heavier stuff. There have been times I wish I was wearing a respirator. (ugh) I use this tractor for the snow blowing, chipping with my Mighty Mac attachment, and tilling.

And as for sound ... it's loud and chugging. You'd never operate it without ear protection. I prefer ear plugs over the over-ear type.

Hopefully we're done with the snow here in Connecticut. If we get more I'll film a bit more.

if you are having to heat the fuel, then you have a fuel gelling problem. Once again, you need to treat your fuel. I have owned the 10, 6 and 4.5hp versions of that engine, all started within 60 seconds of cranking in 3-4'F weather with zero preheating using full throttle while cranking. Now if you were preheating the intake air while cranking, that I can understand, but preheating the fuel system should not be required. This is coming from a diesel certified mechanic here. Once the engine is running, it alone makes enough of its own heat to keep the fuel from gelling up and stalling the engine out again. Its your tractor but you really need to educate yourself on diesels and treat the fuel for the weather.

I figured the winter diesel fuel mix would be sufficient. In the fuel filter I can see the diesel jiggling around when I shake it (the filter is a clear plastic thing. If it's still easily flowing in the filter I figured it would be the same in the engine. The tractor sits in the unheated detached garage all the time.

Last winter I used the summer blend and added the winter treatment additive. It made very little difference and would flat out my battery after lots of cranking. I didn't add the additive to the winter blend diesel figuring its gel/cloud point would already be sufficient low. Perhaps my assumption is way wrong on the winter diesel blends.

I've considered adding a glow plug to this engine (somehow):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glowplug

Since I only need the tractor about a dozen times in a typical winter I haven't spent a whole lot of time here. Using a heat gun for 3-minutes each time I need to use the tractor is cheaper and easier than going with a custom glow plug.

Jason, I completely concur with Mike. You have a gelling issue. There is something like a liquid wax in diesel fuel that will solidify in the cold. A summer blend without additives will start to gel at a relatively mild, cold temp. 20's or so. You would see a liquid in the filter but the micro-sized holes in the paper will be plugged. Going into the fall run the engine dry, get a winter blend of diesel and add a treatment to that. You don't need a glow plug. Been driving trucks for 30 years so, while I'm no mechanic, I do have lots of hard earned experience.wah Once you get the rhythm of the seasons and an engine's little quirks, that thing will out work you for decades.:D Good to see another CT member, Welcome!dOd Dave

On my Minneapolis G-1000 diesel , I installed a either kit

a button activated a plunger which depressed button on ether can

Tubing carried ether into manifold

Tractor started imediately

With out the dreaded ether knock of too much ether

one can lasted for years

Of all the air cooled diesels I have owned, all had to be started at full throttle. My Lombardini in my 920 wont even think of starting at idle. Need atleast 3/4 to full throttle when cold. I run power services year round as it helps with the lubricity or the ablity of the fuel to lubricate both the internals of the injector pump and the injector itself. This new ultra low sulpher diesel isnt well liked by older diesels. Mike