Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
edlincoln

Must of been orange

edlincoln

I'm working on a friends "must of been orange" it's now yellow. It has the rubber spacers in the drive shaft and they have torn loose from the steel plates. What is the correct way to repair this problem? The Wards Squire 9 is almost as bad.

"Must" the throttle and choke levers are horizontal below the steering column, what year would this be? "Must" has a round hood. Thanks Ed

SmilinSam

I think that you need to replace the ruined rubber sandwiched style couplers with the fiberglass disc couplers like used on the newer machines. This also means finding correct length spacers to work with the application.

You might need a different length driveshaft to do the switch. Cant remember as its been quite some time since I did that swap.

dav

had to do the switch from stock bonded rubber-to-steel to fiberglass on my B-1 last year. added some spacers and loosened the yoke on the BGB to get extra adjustment. did not have to change the drive shaft, or even take it loose from the yoke.

Kent
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

You really don't need anything special. Stacks of 3/8" washers work fine.....

id="quote">
id="quote">Just be sure to put the side of the washer with a rounded edge against the fiberglass disk. You don't want to risk a stress crack developing by flexing against the sharp edge of the washer. The original washers had rounded edges. Most hardware variety have rounded edges on one side and sharp edges on the other, from being die cut.

rokon2813

I have sold a few "drive shaft kits" on ebay recently. Not sure if I have enough parts to make up another one or not. I can look tomorrow.

When I make up a "kit" it has 2 disks, 16 washers, 2 or 4 spacers and 8 bolts.

powerking_one

When I put the engine into my 3112V (it came with out it), I had to buy all the drive spacers, washers, and a drive disk. They are still available from Briggs/Simplicity.

PN# 2157081SM, Spacer, $5.30

PN# 2157424SM , Washer, Special, $3.00

PN# 2173026SM ,Coupler, Disk, $22.10

3/8-16 x 1-1/4" bolts

3/8-16 x 2" bolts

Tom(PK)

edlincoln

I got "must of been orange running and steering several weeks ago and took the tractor back. They called this morning and said come and get it, it's yours for free. It has a bad knock. I'm going to try to determine what model Simplicity it could be. Has a round hood, dash and throttle cables similar to a AC big ten.