Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Overheating

Simplicity7013H

Hi All, the starter on my 7013 has recently started heating up really hot after running for a while. It's charges good so I'm assuming that the wires are hooked up right. It has power to start the engine but just gets very hot.

Help Appreciated,

Thanks,

-Elliott

Starter generators have no cooling fan because of its environment and limits its output to 10-15 amps @ 13.5 volts. It is capable of more and if you did that, the winding would eventually burn up. The body can get real warm, but if it sizzles when you spill a few drops of water on it, there are other problems.

Well, I sprinkled water on it and it didn't sizzle it the water did evaporate pretty fast. The starter has been rebuilt twicesm00 When I got it back from the rebuilder guy the armature was bad. I took it back. Fixed free of charge. Now it's overheating8C

Take your generator and regulator back to the rebuilder and have him bench test it to make sure both units are now compatible.

Ditto on what others have said, these S/G's run hot normally. You stating that it is overheating maybe just subjective? If it spins over freely with no noises or apparent binding (with the belt off), and charges OK, I'd say there's nothing wrong with it.

Tom (PK)

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

The S/G on my 2110 will melt snow as soon as it hit's the outside body of the S/G. I believe that's normal.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's what mine is doing. I guess I won't worry about it unless it stops charging and is making funny noises

Run it, watch ebay for a used one. Few people can really rebuild these well. Its the way of the world with disposable and all...

See if the Armature has any side to side play (wobble), and if so, take it back and insist new bushings are installed. Simply pulling the armature from the housing will tell you if things are rubbing where they shouldn't. If the re-builder doesn't have the correct alignment tools to properly align the pole shoes that hold the windings against the casing (with the big flat head screws), even a couple thousandths of being off center will cause a rub against them. Also inspect that the armature was properly insulated with liquid epoxy on the windings. A poor job of coating the wires can cause a breech and burn up the armature windings in a hurry. If you have a kitchen meat thermometer, you can do a generic temp check by taping the end of the meat thermometer to the casing and seeing approximately just how hot it's getting and if it's localized to one specific area on the S/G case.