Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
darren7116

oil

darren7116

Hi guys.

I just resently baught a briggs vanguard 18hp to repower my 7117.

I would like to get your all opinion on what oil to run in it

I figure i should start out with conventional oil to break it in then run synthedic.

Should i use 5w30 or 10w30. It shows in manual 5w30 having the best temp range. Then i was thinking of useing either mobil 5000 then switching to mobil1 synthedic or castrol then castrol edge synthedic or briggs&stratton oil. So what do u all think??

Thanks for looking darren.

Talntedmrgreen

I'd love to have an opinion on synthetic, but haven't given it a good try. My old engines run on dino just fine, and so I continue to use it. I use 5W30 conv in my 23hp Vanguard but imagine it would take a very long time for any ill-symptoms to develop. I whoop on that thing, in a cart...setup to run 5500rpm.

I will watch for other's opinions on the synthetic in a newer briggs.

Tom45

I did the same repower, a 7117 with a Briggs Vanguare 18 hp. I put a slight notch in the frame so I could use the Briggs oil filter.

I did standard oil at first and am using 10W-30 synthetic oil and it is doing fine. My only problem is the amount of grass fines that is pulled from the flywheel into the air cleaner.

Tom

Chris727

I have an 18hp vanny in my '98 Landlord. I was using 30 weight in mine during the summer (an option per manual) but switched to using 10W-30 year round. It is Valvoline Dino oil.

Kenh

I run 15W40 Delo in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. My skid steer (with an Onan) runs 15W40 year round as it has a heat pad on the bottom of the crankcase to warm the oil. The pad heater is the best thing since sliced bread:D

Ken

ketchk

WOW this subject can start a fight. Personally Never use 40 weight next i have used 5/30 synthetic in a 21HP v twin briggs for a few years one time i switched to 5/30 regular my son told me the tractor seems to be running hot I never told him i switched (True story) I have went back to 5/30 synthetic for all my small engines. thats it

Bill725

I always break an engine in with good petroleum-based oil for a minimum of 50 hours before switching to synthetic. I have been using Mobil 1 10W30 but am considering switching to Amsoil Formula 4-stroke 10W30/SAE 30 small engine oil.