Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor of the Month - May 2015

SmilinSam

Tractor of the Month Contest
id="size4">

May 2015id="size5">

This months contest will be :

"Tractors powered with Vertical Shaft Engines"id="green"> id="size6">

Old or New, Restored or Original, Looking for vertical shaft powered lawn and garden tractors. Give us some nice pictures and tell us your tractors unique story. .id="red">id="size5">

Voters will choose the best overall entry and its presentation id="navy">
id="size4">

Open to:id="size3">

All Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Lawn & Garden Tractorsid="orange">id="size5">

As well as all other names made by Simplicity and/or Allis Chalmers id="orange">
id="size5">

Please Note:
id="size6">

All pictures submitted to Tractor of the Month contests should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation

Also: If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

id="size4">

Tractor of the month contest guidelinesid="size3">

1. For club members and registered users. This also includes all officers, moderators, and administrators.

2. The selection committee will determine each monthly contests criteria. Equipment that does not meet theme criteria will be disqualified by the committee and removed from the submission topic.

3. The tractors submitted can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuild - or as specified by the committee.

4. This contest is open for owners to enter their own tractors, or by having someone else nominate them - upon which owner must accept and post entry.

5. The contest is limited to the first 8 entries submitted. This due to the poll system only being able to accommodate 8 entries. Following the 8th entry, the contest topic will be closed to further entries. Votes will be taken in the normal time frame as stated below.

6. Post your entry as a reply to this topic. Narrative and pictures are required - This to tell its story, and to convince voters why it is deserving of being the next Club's tractor of the month.

7. You can enter a tractor/equipment multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once that tractor has won, you cannot submit that tractor again for a year on any subject.

8. Each contest will have a entry submission period beginning the 15th day of each month and lasting to the 15th day of the following month. Once the submission period is over, the current nomination topic will be locked and the next opened.

9.Following each months submission period, a poll topic will then be opened and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in the nomination topic. All members and registered users are eligible to vote. Vote will last for a period of two weeks , from the 15th day of month to the last day of each month. The new winner will be declared on the 1st of each month.

10. Wining tractors each month will be posted on the club home page for a period of one month, 1st day of the month to the last day of the month, and a Contest winners hat will be sent to the winner.

11. Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

12. All pictures submitted should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation. If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

13. Final vote results will be posted to Poll topic at the time the Poll topic is closed. These posted results are the official, and FINAL[/u] results that will determine the winner each month regardless of any further votes cast After the polls have been closed. This is stated because while replies cannot be made after a poll topic is closed, apparently votes can continue to be cast. Its a technical issue that we have to work around at the present time.

14. In the event of a tie, the following procedure will be in effect. The tied winners will share having their pictures posted on the Club home page, each having an equal amount of the months time in the spotlight. There will only be one hat awarded though, and so there will be a run-off vote between the tied members for the hat. This vote will last 2 weeks. The winner of this second run-off vote will receive the winners hat.

If a tied winner has already won a contest and a hat, the hat for the tied contest will automatically be given to other tied winner who has not won one yet.

id="left"> id="size1">

I've lived on a postage stamp (8/100 acre) lot for 20 years. I couldn't use a riding mower if I owned one. I then bought a 2-family rental property with near 1/2 acre of grass. A bonus! I can get a tractor! I grabbed the first cheap CL mower in a panic; a Sears - "the Old Grey Mare". By the end of the year I knew I needed a better, long term solution. My first Simplicity lawn tractors were 2 45 year old, non-working Broadmoors. Being easily distracted (and intimidated by the prospect of inexperience with small engines) they sat unfixed and another year of struggling with "The Old Grey Mare". I started looking for an intermediate tractor to tide me over until I got to the Broadmoors. I found this 4108 that was non-running but complete. The guy was going to scrap it, but sold it to me for $80 delivered to my place. I replaced the coil/armature and it's been a gem ever since. I have a yard trailer for hauling chores, and other than that its just to cut grass, which it does great. It shifts great and turns tight. I got it as a temporary solution but have really become very fond of it. The small (8hp) engine is surprisingly stout, hauling hundreds of pounds of dirt with ease.

P7130484_01.JPG

P7130487.JPG

Thanx, Dave

P7130484_01.JPG.b1dd3eb9ee4887d63a1835db90bf68d8.JPG

P7130487.JPG.6eed030a69c9dd88479341ddde8386ac.JPG

Well, I have a tough time deciding on a small frame/vertical powered machine, as I have grown to really enjoy them. I have several I consider tough to find, and make unique showpieces, but the one I would like to nominate is the one I use the most, and have a real neat story with.This is my B-208 Super, and while not rare, it does possess the styling I love from the early flathood B's, with the flared counsel, and 2-piece grill. It's my favorite mini-B!

20140809_085635.jpg

I found this tractor locally...one of my closest-to-home finds, actually, just 3 miles up the road. It was a barn find, so to speak, and had a decade's worth of barn leavings on it when I first took a look. The visit in itself is a story...This had popped up on CL for the astronomical price of $1000, but after weeks of seeing that ad, I was intrigued, as I hadn't been able to track down a decent B-208S, and it was too close to ignore. Upon calling, I found out the listing was being managed by the seller's grandson, a charming, but more or less uninterested middle school student.

B208S1.png

B208S.png

Grandpa's tractor had not run in 20 years, so I'm told, but I offered to stop by and give my opinion on it. I visited the seller 3 or 4 times over the past month to chat and 'take another look'. I gave him my thoughts on the value of the various pieces, and of course, my take on the hobby, shows, befriending collectors, etc. My goal of buying it became secondary, and I had a great time getting to know a local fella who appreciated the old Simplicity and AC machines. He's currently mowing with a Prestige. =] Each visit was one of those "Hey I'll stop by", but turned into a "Hey, I really gotta go, it's been 2 hours!" type of encounter. Eventually, I received a call to just come and get it, as I had told him I really wasn't looking for a project machine at this time, but he promised he could get it running with ease. I arrived and it took no less than 3 minutes of tinkering with the carb and some fresh gas, before it fired up off a battery box. He even insisted on loading it all up, and delivering it to my house on his trailer...I gave him $500, and it became most most expensive vertical shaft machine to date.

20131126_204436.jpg

I sold off the white blower, a set of 8" wheel weights, dozer and a spare 40" grader to help cover my expense of bringing this old goat in. Shortly thereafter, fellow member lampoulos (Craig) contacted me about a parts B-207 and blower he had, and whether I would be interested in anything. The blower was a rockstar, and he brought it to his folk's place near me, all the way from North Dakota! I use it each winter...love the drift-cutter style of the early blowers. 8D

20140204_184751.jpg

20140202_095437.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AwcFD1VwQHere she is among her brothers and sisters at the 2014 GOTO in LaPorte, wearing her original 40" grader and a NOS vertical shaft engine Blitz Fogger.

20140815_140753.jpg

20140815_140759.jpg

20140811_222400.jpg

What made me think of tractor of the month, was one of many joyrides, just yesterday, on this classy little rig!

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

1988 4212G.jpg

April 2008 was the beginning of a Love/Hate relationship with my first 4212G. I found Her in a local classified ad, The fact I found a Simplicity caught my eye. Thoughts being I could use a partner to my '68 2110 Landlord. Took a ride to where this and a Cub Cadet were being sold. There She was knee high in the weeds. Tires flat and battery dead. the PO was in hurry to sell the smaller machines, since they had just invested in a new Kubota. here was I with no hitch or a trailer, and for another $25 on top of the asking price of $375, they were willing to hike her up onto their tilt bed and deliver.She came with a 36" deck, and 42" dozer blade, and a host of problems.ZippoVarga was quick to tag Her the "Field Queen".Sorry there are no early pictures of the Queen. The first thing to address was to remove the carb, which appeared to have vanilla pudding in the float bowl. then to address the issue with the jammed steering, field mice had built a nest out of rags in the gear box. This meant buying new nylon bushings, and gear cover (the old ones I destroyed in getting the gears cleared.) The rear tires were replaced with a pair (I "borrowed" off the EZ-GO that my son left behind).Bought a new battery, and a carb kit, eventually gave up on the carb rebuild, and bought a new one from Briggs. Then got acquainted with that "dream of a Choke-a-Matic", and it's relation to the governor.repaired the chewed through spark plug wire. Up to this point She proved to be an excellent mower, and able to negotiate around the many trees near my house. Suffered with an intermittent solenoid, andfor a while I substituted an old 8" screwdriver across the terminals.Finally got the carb and governor set up to minimize the surging (thanks to articles by Al Edan). That brings us up to 2010, when I had my auto accident, followed by a triple bypass.After 5 months of recuperation, it was back to the grind, and deep into the tractors and attachments. rewiring the Queen, and adding a dash mounted fuel cutoff. After rebuilding a spindle on the 36" deck.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123265the Queen came with an adapter bracket, that allows me to use FDT attachments, case in point...http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124801 In the fall of 2013, I broke a gear in the transaxle, and She sat under tarp until the spring when I could transplant the transaxle from Her companion '90 4212G "Jester".http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136249After a busy summer of logging, and hauling firewood the Queen was ready for her first "working winter"

P82A05871.jpg

Som after a very cold spell, I got home from church, and took the Queen up to fill some ruts in the driveway. After about 2 hours. I was tired, so I parked the Queen, and refueled for the next outing, forgetting to turn off the fuel valve. the next day (very cold) I fould I had a goodly oil gas mix in the sump. OK drain the sump, refill the oil, and get the Old Girl running again. Again refueled, and again forgot the valve. repeat the drill. So last time, under Her own power, she ran fine for about an hour and a half, plowing snow off the ice on the turn around.but then would die out. All attempts to get to settle down, it appears the internal governor assembly was toast, after two baths of fuel and oil, and another spring project. I can always begin by transplanting the engine from the "Jester". LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

57e0613b2fced_19884212G.jpg.a08b97c8438c9c84aab435e261507d17.jpg

P82A05871.jpg.3ce69fb858ba6c40c54783b8426c9ed7.jpg

For me there was always a place for the older small frames. Maybe because I grew up on my grandfathers 707 taking it thru the woods plowing snow and just plain having fun on it. For this month nomination im entering my 616 yeoman. Here is the story behind it, My grandfather bought a brand new 707 back in the mid 60's, my uncle saw the tractor and had to have one for himself. My uncles yard wasnt quite as big so he chose the 616 yeoman, he ordered it with the 32" mower deck, 42" snow plow, 32" snow blower, chains and, wheel weights. He used it until he was too old to mow the grass some time in the 90's. Here is a picture taken sometime in the early 80s with my uncle driving and my cousins in the background. my uncle loved this little tractor and it served him well for over 30 years.

rsz_yeoman.jpg

So after he passed away they gave the tractor to my cousin and her husband. They used it for a number of years until it lost compression and would run any more. They called me up and asked if i wanted it because they knew i loved these old machines and I said yep! I brought it home took the cylinder head off and found the valve seat had fallen out. I staked the seat and block in a few spots tapped the seat back in and mowed my lawn with it that day! This is the actual picture from that day.

rsz_yeoman5.jpg

She did smoke but I figued she was old enough to lol. As time went on the smoke got worse and worse. I parked it for the winter and had a nice fresh 7hp sitting on the shelf. So i took her all apart pressure washed the frame and underside and put in the new engine.

rsz_yeoman3.jpg

rsz_yeoman1.jpg

At this point i thought why not make this tractor a bit better. So after a while of searching I found a nice original hi lo that I took apart cleaned and regreased. Then I came across a near perfect original seat so I scooped that up too which brings us to present day! I still have all the attachments that he bought with the tractor in near perfect shape, all the manuals for the tractor including the paperwork for the optional lift lever 990416. The tractor retains all of its original paint. This truly is not only my favorite small frame but my favorite simplicity out of all I have. Being that it has been in the same family since new also makes it that much cooler in my eyes.

yeoman2.jpg

rsz_yeoman4.jpg

rsz_yeoman.jpg.9934643b23d790c293200781bccd1dc8.jpg

rsz_yeoman5.jpg.85cf8aae7413620226b149c579c82959.jpg

rsz_yeoman3.jpg.6ce2bb11f193a2cd401a6ba048bc51e3.jpg

rsz_yeoman1.jpg.5884b7282f846972985e7fe2127a5046.jpg

yeoman2.jpg.0a506e67c55218b44b6bbae75439eb8e.jpg

rsz_yeoman4.jpg.b435ebe577c7b6e30e5b10cfe8e05c7a.jpg

As I make this months entry, it's all dedicated to the very first tractor that got me hooked on Simplicities and Allis-Chalmers. Some of the old salts may recall how I got my first Simplicity. It was a 1964 Broadmoor that my neighbor had set out to the curb for trash pick up. I asked him if he minded if I took it and he said "not at all!" So, I returned with my old 1967 F100, loaded her up and less than 20 minutes later, I rode the little Broadmoor back to my neighbors to make sure, that even running, that he didn't want it. He said it's all yours and here's a couple more pieces I forgot I had (Blade and hitch). Fourteen years of very reliable service later, I passed her on to another owner. I regretted doing this from the moment I pulled out of the drive after dropping it off. So...over the years, I've had the notion to replace the old 64 Broadmoor and just two days ago, the opportunity presented it self with a nearly identical 64 to the one I had owned for so many years. And, as a perk...this one has the Hi-Lo option on it! I am looking forward to installing an engine and returning to those days when the painfully slow 2 speed transmission would take on any task I threw at the old Broadmoor. Only this time, the duties will be less intensive than when the old one was the only working machine on the property. Onto the pics of the blank canvas I have to work with. All in all, she's mechanically sound and shouldn't take too much to get her back to working the Zippo Ranch.

64Broad1.jpg

64Broad2.jpg

64Broad1.jpg.661c69830c5ff8471daf319532b82af3.jpg

64Broad2.jpg.7f6b91976b0da576861da2aeb0d65df3.jpg

This is my 1986 Simplicity 4211. It was sold new on June 2, 1986

at Maxinkuckee Home Supply in Culver, In. I got this tractor on my

9th birthday as a gift from my parents. My uncle refurbished it and

sold it to my parents. It has a 10hp rebuilt briggs in it because the

original 11hp was long gone before I got it. It is kinda my sedan

tractor. If I need to drive fast around the yard I just jump on this and

away I go. It is all stock except motor and seat. It needs a new grille

but that will come later.

0df1163f-1447-4602-b971-1ba1ed36b004_zpsx2zpy6nb.jpg

08aac4fa-7677-4f35-9f59-96bb52d335f8_zps27wb25xg.jpg

4211 seat on my 7013

5e075e0d-20f4-4c49-a750-5131ee695be5_zpspw5ewmox.jpg

Like to enter my yeoman got as a basket case and tried to stay as stock as possible had all the decals redone and was happy with the results and it blows snow better than i thought

mini-IMGP0082.JPG

mini-IMGP0083.JPG

mini-IMGP0794.JPG

mini-IMGP0084.JPG

mini-IMGP0081.JPG

mini-IMGP0950.JPG

mini-IMGP0082.JPG.78a749b6012999f928b444b6519f777a.JPG

mini-IMGP0083.JPG.eabe9a61ce9a5e23923a8306d9e9f9c7.JPG

mini-IMGP0794.JPG.f40118671dc01e82472163afe888c250.JPG

mini-IMGP0084.JPG.10ac62ec6fd61494e6e8e44282f50632.JPG

mini-IMGP0081.JPG.95a2e93a705f06928d2afc1489ce4466.JPG

mini-IMGP0950.JPG.451dd4109b9d466822f0f30bad23940c.JPG

The next entry posted will be the last one for this contest. That will give us the max of 8.

• 2 weeks later...

1409715309627.jpg

1401671702750.jpg

Here is a before and after of the Simplicity made Homelite CT10that I restored last summer.As you could see in the first pic it was pretty rough when I got it.I tore it down and did a complete job on it.I found a old sears tractor for a like new 10 hp Briggs,Josh Thorton was kind enough to get me decal measurements and I had Click It And Stick It make me a set of decals.Tractor turned out real nice and am currently stripping a Simplicity Trailer to make a matching Homelite Trailer.

1409715309627.jpg.55e1e21149a1164b652a7903c396ccfa.jpg

1401671702750.jpg.3f6751240a8c4e7549e85afaf41b4715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Official results at time of closing were:

Results:

dhoadley and his 4108 [5%] 2 votes

Talntedmrgreen and his B-208 Super [21%] 9 votes

GrincheyOne and his 4212 [5%] 2 votes

CTD01 and his 616 Yeoman [26%] 11 votes

ZippoVarga and his 64 Broadmoor [2%] 1 votes

Simplicity7013H and his 4211 [10%] 4 votes