Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Variable Speed Help

1978Simplicity7016H

Hey guys, I recently acquired a 3112V from a neighbor down the road. After cleaning the points and carb, I got her running. The front of the tractor is fine, but not the rear end. I have never worked on, seen in action, or operated a variable speed Simplicity. With that being said, I need someone to help me that has experienced a variable. The previous owner grounded the first gear out. But all the other gears work. My question: how far does the BGB pulley spread apart? The back pulley spreads apart pretty far, but when I put the variable lever slower, it tightens the belt, and then I can't clutch it. So I look at it, and the BGB pulley only spreads apart about maybe 1/4 of an inch more. The back pulley maybe about 1/2 an inch in difference.

Any advice?

Thanks Mike! I didn't get to it last night but I will try tonight. As I was reading it said, "For most desirable results, it is preferred to run the tractor 3/4 to full throttle". I guess now that I think about it, I really have just ran it at idle to 1/2 throttle. I'll try running it faster this afternoon.

I got around to driving it yesterday. I pulled the throttle out more and it makes more of a difference in speed from slow to fast. But now a have another problem. It always seemed like the drivers side wheel would spin out upon take-off. When I drove it through a soft spot, the drivers side wheel would loose traction and spin. I think maybe something is wrong in the axle gearbox. Through soft ground it may loose traction, but when you let off the clutch in 2nd gear and it spins out, that's not normal. It's still gets around though. Started to get dark so I put it away.

Daniel, if you feel that the spin out is not usual for a Simplicity, then there may be a assembly/parts problem with the differential. I have not experienced a tractor that drives the left wheel only but I can see if the diff is missing or has some broken spider gears that one wheel drive could happen.

If the tractor moves then there is probably no problem with the transaxle gearbox. The differential is that hub on the right side axle.

I haven't looked at the axle gearbox yet, but it sure does seem like the left wheel is the only one driving. Now I'm starting to have problems with the carb.8C I don't know if I will keep this one in one piece running or if I will part it out for parts. It does have an excellent motor. Starts right up and has good compression. If it all works out, I will probably repaint it as it has a red paint job right now. Doesn't look right. Oh well. At least it came with a nice deck on it, which I was wanting one for my 3212H. Or maybe i will just keep the whole tractor as a mowing tractor. I haven't decided yet, just depends on if the rear end comes out good.:D