Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gear housing leak?

Viva-la-B-110

Hey guys--

Today I was sweeping out the garage when I happened to notice what looked like excess oil seeping along the rear axl on the right side of the tractor. I checked the other side and it was dry. No oil on the floor, just excess soaked into the dirt on the right axl. I assume this is a leak, but is it something I should worry about. And how complicated is it to fix?

Thanks!

Could be the axle seal on the right is starting to leak.

But...what is the level of oil in the transaxle? Have you added any lately?

The level of oil if too high will leak out the axles shafts. I find that most people put too much oil in.

After many years of use, hydro axle tubes can crack at the gear keyway inside and propagate outward towards the differential on the RH side.

The end? No way, it all depends on how much leakage you want to deal with. I have a tractor that I park over a pan to keep the oil leaking from the rearend off the concrete in the shop. To me it is not bad enough yet to tear the tractor apart to fix.

The leakage does not hurt anything just makes a mess. As long as you keep oil in the transaxle.

I heard somewhere a long time ago, for airplanes;

"If it's less than 7 drips a minute it doesn't leak yet"

BTW, I don't fly :D:D