Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rokon2813

flywheel magnets

rokon2813

Odd question;

Do magnets "go bad", get weaker??

Had a customer ask me if there was any way to measure, he thought his were getting weak.

I guess science class was too long ago, I don't remember.

TimJr

Generally, I would say no to them going bad. Some things that could have an effect on them from what I understand would be abnormal heat (not sure what it would do to a magnetic field, but have been told it can affect it), being exposed to another strong magnetic field, and severe impact (if they are fractured it would mess with the proper magnetic field). Those may or may not be legit reasons, just some things I have heard discussed over the years. Tim

BLT

I have heard this statement before and used it as a reference. " Press a 1/4 inch flathead screwdriver against the magnet. Let go of the screwdriver. If the magnet can hold the screwdriver in place then it is OK; if the screwdriver drops then the flywheel magnet is worn out and you will have to replace it."

MikeES

Magnets slowly lose their strength, we had to check them every 6 months for "gauss" strength. Physical abuse like what was mentioned above can accelerate the decay