Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112 with bachtold brush cutter

SmilinSam

You have that right! Now...how to get it home?

I shot him a message....I was right there 2 weeks ago sm02

I'm wondering what brand that mower attachment is, far too complex for Bachtold. Nice looking unit though, built somewhat like the Level Lift mower I had once. That tractor is a clean one.

It looks quite a bit like the tractor mounted Bachtold's on other brand machines I've seen when researching, especially the guards. I suppose I will find out more when it gets here 666

Rich, did you let yours go? I've been watching for one ever since it popped up in that auction. What was that, 3 years back?

There were several manufacturers of these sort of tractor mounted "bachtold type" mowers. Colfax motor works, and M&W MFG are two that I am familiar with. Both these were established right in the same geographical location as the Bachtold company in east central Illinois.

Not sure as to what the history is between these and Bachtold itself, as some of these mowers obviously shared some of the same parts as The Bachtold walk behinds, but I have never seen a actual "Bachtold" brand mower for a tractor mount setup.

I gotcha...yeah, I see lots of similarities when browsing online. It will be a bit of a mystery then, and I'll be sure to followup.

Do you still have photos of the one you had? Thought I read where you had a WH one, and one for Simp/AC?

I have somewhere (crs kicking in again ) seen a genuine Bachtold attachment. I know they sold them I talked to a former AC dealer that sold several back in the day, where are they now?! They used the same basic head as their walk behind mowers which I have and use. The Level Lift I had was built for a Massey and is now in the hands of a collector of such.

The mower attachment I currently own is an AW tractor products inc. built in Colfax Illinois. I bought it at Mr. England's moving to town auction. Sam,there was another Ed sold that day attached to I believe a 2110, you don't remember what breed it was do you? It was different than my AW, but similar.

I don't see any way to engage the belt drive on the front PTO. The belt from the engine pulley to the lower implement pulley looks a little slack.

Bachtold Drive.jpg

I think I figured it out....Looks like the PTO engagement lever vertically raises and lowers the implement lower pulley to disengage and engage the front mower.

Bachtold Drive2.jpg

57e0613fcfb8e_BachtoldDrive.jpg.e449406b512de270106f10aaa728fbe4.jpg

57e06140539e8_BachtoldDrive2.jpg.ca20e2a8907e03044e146f27cd652778.jpg

Yup...it's similar to the engagement of the later model Sweepsters for these tractors.

Yeah, I just got off the phone with the owner, and he said there's a lever on the front that engages it. He says it runs pretty wicked. Too bad there's no weeds to try it out just to make sure it works, lol!

quote:Originally posted by B-16_IC

The mower attachment I currently own is an AW tractor products inc. built in Colfax Illinois. I bought it at Mr. England's moving to town auction. Sam,there was another Ed sold that day attached to I believe a 2110, you don't remember what breed it was do you? It was different than my AW, but similar.

id="quote">
id="quote">The yellow one, and I have had 2 others like it, was a Colfax Motor works product, or something like that.

Lots of good information here. Might not be a bad idea to move this post to another forum so it doesn't get deleted.

Here's a picture of the Massey rigged Level Lift I had.

mowerattachment1.jpg

Kinda similar, of course with the engine of a Massey riding side saddle like a WH it drives totally different. It was built in I believe Fairbury Indiana. The following is my Colfax built unit.

IMG_20120610_140846.jpg

Maybe a thread should be started elsewhere to pool all pictures and information on weed mowers. I for one would find it fun, they fascinate me for some reason.

I think we have a winner Rich! I have seen a couple pics of a Case Level Lift but it was rough and incomplete but shows the shaft drive and quick hitch style mount, as well as the guards.

I think your Massey unit looks lile a near match to the Simplicity one above, minus the hitch that bolts to the tractor and the side saddle belt routing.

Here is one on a Deere I ran across at a show a couple years ago. I had one like this on a Wheel Horse a number of years ago.

DSCN0086_zps1f8fe733.jpg

The one I had had no stickers or tags. This Deere one had new Bachtold stickers, but I couldn't find a hard tag with a model number of manufacturer ID on it.Though there was no tag, this type I would suspect maybe being actual Bachtold, as the whole front assembly is identical to the walk behind units by that name.